Kim Jong-Un Climbs North Korea's Highest Mt

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Kim Jong-Un Climbs North Korea's Highest Mt

Post by jdorje »

RockCaCO3 wrote:The peak in the background looks higher.
Can't be, it only has 2700m of interpolated elevation. And 80m of interpolated prominence. Surprising.

Even more surprising though is the apparently discrepancy in the elevation of Heaven Lake.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

jsdratm wrote:Image
Where did you get that map? The shoreline of that lake fluctuates hundreds of meters.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Here is the Peakbagger page, there is a Google maps window on the page you can play around with. If you switch it to satellite view the lake is much lower: http://peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=10734

We actually did a ski resort in China that is not too far from this area, and also a hotel near the hot springs that are just north of the entry to the natural reserve. I did not get to take any trips out there though.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

The article says that the peak is on the border with China, so I would guess that the higher peak in the background is in China rather than N. Korea. The pylon/chain "fence" may mark the border (assuming that they really mean on the border, rather than close to the border).
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I think you're all missing the point...

"Kim Jong-Il, who ruled until his death in 2011, scored 11 holes-in-one the first time he ever played golf"

His dad is the real hero.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

CO Native wrote:Where did you get that map? The shoreline of that lake fluctuates hundreds of meters.
It is the terrain data from google maps, and you are right, the lake looks pretty odd! It seems like the google maps terrain data is a bit weird in some areas and the most detail is in the lower 48 states.

As far as the lake, it looks very similar to Crater Lake in Oregon, with the steep and crumbly rim walls. It appears to be a collapsed volcano based on the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paektu_Mountain
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I, for one, applaud his achievement. I just goes to show all you 14er snobs that regardless of age, physical condition, or lack of "professional" equipment, even an average guy can accomplish great things. Obviously, this is one focused and determined dude! He deserves all the accolades. Way to go, K-Jong! (That's his nic. I think Rodman gave it to him.)
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Colorado dreaming
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Colorado dreaming »

I can tell from those pictures that he put a lot effort into climbing this mountain. Based on his outfit and shoes and the wood posts behind him (looks like part of a parking lot), I bet he walked at least 10 feet from his vehicle for those pics! That is dedication.

Seriously, is he that deluded that he thinks anyone actually believes his stories!?!
jdorje
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

The topographic data is probably from the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM), which is pretty accurate though low resolution.

But then it would need a secondary source for hydro data. For north korea, I don't know what that source would be.

For international maps, I don't think OSM can be beaten sadly. I know their topo maps come from SRTM data; dunno about the hydro data though. Looks like there is a road to the summit.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/34027 ... 2&layers=C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OSM has only the loosest of satellite imagery for that area. I haven't put the coordinates into terraserver or any other likely imagery source to see what it has.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
dannyg23
14ers: 54  43 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by dannyg23 »

Steve Climber wrote:I think you're all missing the point...

"Kim Jong-Il, who ruled until his death in 2011, scored 11 holes-in-one the first time he ever played golf"

His dad is the real hero.
Dude I was crying when I read that, why 11?? I mean did he intentionally miss a few shots, or does he suck at some of the holes or what? It's sooo hard to be infallible.
ejworden
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ejworden »

These photos make Mt. Paektu look totally skiable. Could be the start of a ski tour movie called "Ax-skis of Evil" where we go around to DPRK, Iraq, and Iran and bring peace through skiing. Anybody have time to photoshop K-Jong ripping it up?
Hungry Jack
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

I think that pic was faked, like the moon landings and all that stuff in Willy Wonka.
please rotate your device