Nepal Earthquake Triggers Avalanche on Everest

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Nepal Earthquake Triggers Avalanche on Everest

Post by Scott P »

It was one huge widespread earthquake. It hit more than just Everest. Deaths are reported all the way from India, throughout Nepal and all the way in Bangladesh. That would be an equivalent distance of about the distance from Denver to Missouri. How sad. My thoughts and prayers are with them.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Usher73
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Usher73 »

Discovery Channel is showing a documentary on last year's Everest avalanche tonight.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Latest information: http://mountaintrip.com/everest/morning ... arthquake/
There have been only a couple of Sherpa who have descended through the icefall since the earthquake. The Sherpa who descended through the icefall were able to hear some voices of trapped climbers on their way down.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

It's horrifying to think of people trapped in that icefall. But it's heartening to hear that someone was able to get down through it, too. The guide services will have figure out how to get all those folks down safely, the injured and the healthy ones, too, either on foot or helicopter.

It sucks to watch all this play out on television and social media, and be so helpless to do anything about it. There are several humanitarian aid non-profits working with people on the ground. I'm going to see what I can donate today. The Red Cross and Oxfam do good things in events like this, and we can't undo what's been done, but we can rally behind these people and do what we can, with donations, to ease their suffering in the coming days. I can't imagine what it would be like to survive a catastrophe like this.

Thanks for posting the additonal info, guys.

Susan
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Audio update from Alan Arnette:

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2015/04 ... heimers-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

Wow! My heart goes out to Nepal as well as to the climbers and trekers. Thanks for the update links.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Here are some more links:

Jon Kedrowski at Base Camp: Everest Earthquake & Avalanche Aftermath & Photos
Jim Davidson at Camp 1: inReach Message from Jim Davidson
Alan Arnette at Camp 2 (climbing Lhotse): Audio Dispatch from Alan Arnette
Dan Nash on the North Side (climbing Cho Oyu): inReach Message from Dan Nash

-Susan
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Thoughts go out for the people of Nepal, such a tragedy as the death tolls rises over 2,000. The country will never be the same. So sad.

14ers.com member Peter Hamel (Dereferenced) is safe and we have been in close contact every day. No injuries or fatalities reported on Cho Oyo. The DeLorme InReach is amazing technology.

Still waiting for reports to come in for the other peaks in the area. Extremely grateful that Peter is ok.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

This whole episode is heart wrenching. I was watching coverage of the earthquake start to trickle through on the BBC on Saturday morning. Before anyone on the news mentioned Everest, I had that gut punch thought "Wait...didn't the climbing season start in the Himalayas?!". Then I had that moment when I realized that there were members of the Colorado mountaineering community that are out there, and then the news started talking about the situation in the mountains. The human tragedy in this for the rest of the country is unbearable, and I get choked up just watching the footage from towns and cities. The dispatches from Alan, and the inReach messages, are really amazing and I think we all are in awe of the impact these pieces of technology have had for connection to this tragedy. I hope they know that our thoughts are with them, and that we're hanging on to every word in these dispatches.

There's some new footage on BBC from a German mountaineer who was filming during the first avalanche. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32474951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I don't think they were close enough to get the shock-wave that we've all been reading about, but the terror in his voice is extremely palpable.

If anyone else is interested, Oxfam has a relief fund set up as well; https://secure2.oxfamamerica.org/page/c ... arthquake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Such a mixture of emotions....over 3400 dead and yet happy to report that the Fort Collins contingency of Alan Arnette and Jim Davidson are off the mountain and back at Everest Base Camp.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
RobertKay
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (10)

Post by RobertKay »

My heart is aching for Nepal. As climbers we are feeling such a loss for those killed while at Everest but unfortunately this is only the tip of the iceberg. The death toll is rising so quickly that none of the numbers are even close to what we will finally learn. Entire villages are wiped out and there are also heavy rains in a lot of Nepal which will greatly compound this tragedy.

And then there is the huge loss of very historic sites in Kathmandu and around the country. So many beautiful structures are lost forever. What are the long term implications for the economy of this desperately poor nation? Will tourists have as much desire to go there and fall in love with the people?

Finally, remember that insurance of any kind is very rare in Nepal. The average Nepali has no medical, life or property insurance. The bulk of their "wealth" is tied up in their home which is now gone or badly damaged.

On the positive side, I am thrilled at the outpouring of support from the US and other nations, both private and public. I just pray that the help will get there quickly enough to save lives.

EVERYONE, please strongly consider donating to one of the legitimate non-profits that are already on the ground and doing what they can. I suggest World Vision, World Help and Samaritan's Purse as a start. These groups are responding very quickly and are efficient with your money.
Peakmarker.com
sean bennett
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sean bennett »

I am usually able to turn a blind eye to this kind of thing but, I was just there in Oct/Nov and it is a magical place. So fragile and poor but the people are so peaceful and kind. Really tears me apart. I made two good friends there, I have heard from one who is safe but the other is somewhere on Everest and has not been in communication yet.