Orizaba, anyone?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Orizaba, anyone?

Post by timf »

Thanks Alexy. I'm getting pretty excited as this has been on my to do list for years and finally coming to fruition (although 7 months away).
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

Just to add to the previous description: in March 2013 the labyrinth was by far the crux of the route. If you found the most efficient route through it was a pretty straightforward snow climb up a gully, but still the steepest snow on the route (maybe 45 degrees?). Without locating the correct gully it was at least class 3 on mixed terrain. There was also some rockfall hazard. Otherwise the climb was straightforward except for the altitude. We did it without ropes but some people were getting a belay down the gully in the labyrinth. It was like Alexey described - the glacier had no crevasses except for some that were an inch wide, and like Alexey said the suncups/penitents made for an easy ascent and also reduced the danger since you literally couldn't slide down the snow if you tried. But looking at some trip reports from recently it seems like the snow conditions are not always like that.
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

If a big group gets together I would go back. I was just there in Feb. and it was awesome.
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

I plan on being at the 14er Happy Hour tomorrow night. Probably won't be there till 7:30-8:00 but it would be cool if people who were interested in the Orizaba trip could make it, would be a good time to meet people and shoot the breeze.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

I'd be in to do Orizaba. Let me know if you have room.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
CorduroyCalves
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

I'm still planning on going to the HH, but I won't be there till around 8:30. Someone's buying my canoe and need to sell it to help finance my Orizaba trip :)

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
timf
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

Bump! Anyone else besides Corduroy and myself? Not sure if that airfare is still good, but we just could not pass it up.

Also for those that have gone, how much did you bring assuming taxi/bus transportation, Canchola 4WD, meals, housing, bottled water, and any other provisions. Will bring more then what others recommend, just looking to get an idea.
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

I travel to Puebla at least once a year and have climbed the volcanoes several times. I dont usually carry much cash as ATM machines are all over and as easy to use as the one at my credit union. Last year I used the one at Banco Santander on the main square in Puebla. It's really not any different than using one in the states. A Mexico climbing trip is not really like traveling to a different country IMO.

Have fun,

G
noinu09
14ers: 58 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by noinu09 »

I have travel booked for a climb the second week of November if anyone wants to join?
CorduroyCalves
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Thought I'd give this another bump. Looks like it's just me and timf right now, would love for others to join in.

timf
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

For those that have gone to Orizaba, Ixta, about how much did you spend outside of airfare? (CanChola services including meals, hostel stay, 4x4 transport, bottled water, fuel, taxi/bus fare, etc)
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

timf wrote:For those that have gone to Orizaba, Ixta, about how much did you spend outside of airfare? (CanChola services including meals, hostel stay, 4x4 transport, bottled water, fuel, taxi/bus fare, etc)
Our itinerary was as follows:
Day 1: Fly into Mexico City, bus to Tlatchichuca (Concholas).
Day 2: 4x4 transport to the hut and acclimation hike to the base of the Labyrinth.
Day 3: Orizaba Summit Day, ride back down to Concholas.
Day 4: Private driver from Tlatchichuca to the trailhead of Ixta (La Joya).
Day 5: Ixta Summit Day, private driver takes us to a hotel in Mexico City.
Day 6: Fly home

I don't remember the exact figures but here is an estimate of what we spent:
Concholas ~$180 + tip (worth every bit of it)
Private driver ~$100 + tip
I travel a lot for work, so I used hotel points and stayed for free at a Double Tree in Mexico City near the airport. I think rooms are pretty reasonable though ~$100 per night
Everything else there was incredibly cheap. Factoring in the bus to Tlatchichuca, one taxi ride, and random food stops, I probably spent less than $40 on everything else.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer