Cotopaxi Erruption

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Frontrangeskier
14ers: 54  8  1 
13ers: 83 16
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Cotopaxi Erruption

Post by Frontrangeskier »

Heading down for Chimborazo end of November. Our guide told us Cotopaxi is a no go this year. Everything else is fine. Probably just gonna substitute Cayambe instead.
Catchy saying from someone famous.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Taillon75 wrote:Heading down for Chimborazo end of November. Our guide told us Cotopaxi is a no go this year. Everything else is fine. Probably just gonna substitute Cayambe instead.
We are heading down 11/26 to attempt Cayambe and Chimborazo too. Maybe we will see you wandering around Quito or on the mountains. If you have not been down there before, Ecuador is a great country... beautiful scenery and nice people. Glad we got to climb Cotopaxi last year!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Woodie Hopper
14ers: 58 
13ers: 75
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

Cayambe is a worthwhile and fun peak in its own right. We climbed it during our trip to Ecuador several years ago and really enjoyed it. I followed it up with Chimbo and Cotopaxi.

We didn't climb it, but depending on conditions, I think Antisana would be a good high glaciated peak to consider as well.

Woodie
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

We didn't climb it, but depending on conditions, I think Antisana would be a good high glaciated peak to consider as well.
Antisana was my favorite of the volcanoes down there (though I never got to Altar).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
feldyinstilly
Trip Reports (1)

Post by feldyinstilly »

Is anyone going down in mid-December by chance?? I was hoping to go 2nd week of December. Anyone also had experience with Cumbre Tours?
yoyita7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yoyita7 »

One of my co-workers is from Quito. He says if you like to climb, Cayambe is not to be missed. Ecuador is beautiful and very affordable. I've been twice to visit with family, but I wasn't very interested in the outdoors at that time. I definitely regret not making it to Cotopaxi.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

The guide who wandered up some mountains with us had this on his facebook web page the other day:

So I'm pretty sure there are still mountains to climb down there. I think the advertisement refers to the soccer game they play on the top of Chimborazo.
I guess they do mountain biking now as well.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (44.42 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

I climbed Antisana in 2012 as an Alpine Ascents client, which I think sapped my strength for the rest of the trip. I turned back on Cotopaxi early, was not feeling well, figured "the mountain will always be there", try again in a few years. Oh well. I was inspired by the Frederick Church painting at the Detroit institute of Arts to take that trip over other possibilities.
http://www.dia.org/object-info/baeac490 ... 11492.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hopefully damage is minimal to all concerned due to any potential eruptions. As others have said, there is plenty else to climb down their, I still want to go to Ecuador as long as it is safe. Beautiful country, both on & off the peaks. Not to mention, I would be very interested in a Galapagos or jungle trip next time. It's all about getting enough time off for me.
Best Regards
PI Joe
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PI Joe »

Taillon75 wrote:Appreciate any scientific updates you got.
http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/cotopaxi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/cotopax ... ption.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frontrangeskier
14ers: 54  8  1 
13ers: 83 16
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Frontrangeskier »

Thanks
Catchy saying from someone famous.