Pico De Orizaba (18,500 ft in Mexico) info needed

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Pico De Orizaba (18,500 ft in Mexico) info needed

Post by mikefromcraig »

Apparently December is the ideal month to climb pico de orizaba. However, I'm having a hard time finding any detailed info about the climb.

If you or anyone you know has climbed it, please let me know.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Pico De Orizaba (18,500 ft in Mexico) info needed

Post by I Man »

Hundreds on this site have climbed it and there are many TRs. I believe SurfNTurf did a write up from our trip.
The trip is very straightforward and requires no more skill than a spring Colorado 14er.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

As I Man said, there are multiple well-written trip reports on Orizaba. Use the "Advanced Search" feature in the trip reports section and search "Orizaba." After you read a few, if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

I concur with what's already been written above. After reading up on some TR's please feel to PM me or ask away right here. I'll do my best to help out in any way I can. For what it is I absolutely loved this short, quick little get away to Mexico and highly recommend it.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

As others have said there is a ton of information on Orizaba, Itza, and the other peaks in Mexico in the Trip Reports section on this site. The Summitpost page on Orizaba is also a good resource:

http://www.summitpost.org/pico-de-orizaba/150192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun those are great peaks!

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

My only input is to take the time to do Iztaccihuatl while you are there. I thought the area was much prettier and the peak far more interesting than Orizaba. We were lucky enough to get there right after a snowstorm though so we did it as a snowclimb.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

I did a google search and went 5 or so pages deep and none of the 14er trip reports came up. I didn't even realize international peaks were on here. Thanks.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

If you're flexible and want some companions, timf and I are doing this in mid-January. Shoot me a PM if you're interested!
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

CorduroyCalves wrote:If you're flexible and want some companions, timf and I are doing this in mid-January. Shoot me a PM if you're interested!
I could probably go early January but not mid. Did you select January over December based on climbing conditions or just out of convenience?
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

mikefromcraig wrote:
CorduroyCalves wrote:If you're flexible and want some companions, timf and I are doing this in mid-January. Shoot me a PM if you're interested!
I could probably go early January but not mid. Did you select January over December based on climbing conditions or just out of convenience?
Well I wanted to give myself ample time to prepare (which is good, in hindsight, as I'm battling plantar fasciitis). Plus it's still in the dry season and we got a good deal on a direct flight from Denver to MEX.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

So I'm curious about the level of technical difficulty, e.g. the labyrinth, is there a comparable CO peak in terms of difficulty (aside from the difference in altitude)?
IG: jc_solitude
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

dr_j wrote:So I'm curious about the level of technical difficulty, e.g. the labyrinth, is there a comparable CO peak in terms of difficulty (aside from the difference in altitude)?
The conditions in the labyrinth seem to vary a lot. When I did it, there was waterfall ice and we used crampons and ice axes. It was a short, stiff ice-climb, and not like anything I've encountered on a 14er here in Colorado.

I agree with others who are urging you to visit Iztaccihuatl while you're down there. It is a more interesting peak with better views, and it's a lot less steep. Once you reach the "feet" it's a lot of easy ups and downs. I found the difficulty to be similar to a 14er in consolidated springtime snow. Orizaba, on the other hand, is a sustained, very steep climb.

-Susan