Pico De Orizaba (18,500 ft in Mexico) info needed

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Pico De Orizaba (18,500 ft in Mexico) info needed

Post by timf »

CorduroyCalves wrote:
mikefromcraig wrote:
CorduroyCalves wrote:If you're flexible and want some companions, timf and I are doing this in mid-January. Shoot me a PM if you're interested!
I could probably go early January but not mid. Did you select January over December based on climbing conditions or just out of convenience?
Well I wanted to give myself ample time to prepare (which is good, in hindsight, as I'm battling plantar fasciitis). Plus it's still in the dry season and we got a good deal on a direct flight from Denver to MEX.
What he said. Plus I think avoiding any holiday travel and keeping it a few weeks after spending the holidays with the family has a soft benefit. Mrs. Claus is getting me a duffel bag and new gaiters...she just doesn't know it yet.
cbrobin
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by cbrobin »

My TR

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great starter high peak. Starting my plans for Aconcagua.
More Colorado than the Natives.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Even though it's a ski TR, I put a lot of details in about travel, lodging, etc. that hopefully might help you with some logistics:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include

I agree with cbrobin - great starter peak for bigger mountains.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Just came across this video for some Orizaba stoke. Makes me want to go back so bad. Pretty rad!

CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Hope the glacier is in good shape for timf and me like it was in this video.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

USAKeller wrote:Just came across this video for some Orizaba stoke. Makes me want to go back so bad. Pretty rad!

Wow, that is a wild way to spend a weekend!
MissH
14ers: 48  6 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MissH »

I'm looking at going in December... little bit of high altitude exposure (not my first) before I head over to Aconcagua in January. Anyone else planning to go? Would prefer to not solo this, especially with my limited espanol... Down for Itza, too, if there's enough time.

PM me if interested!

-hannah
CorduroyCalves
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Timf and I are going in mid-January.

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
chugach
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chugach »

Hi,
I am just registered to this site-however I am looking at going in January if I could join a party. Live in Ak though, so I would have to meet up with a party down in mexico. thanks

kevin
XrunclimbskiX
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

My brother and I are going Dec. 26th-30th to climb Izta. Let me know if anyone else is going to be down there. Especially if you speak Spanish...even a little bit.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

chugach wrote:Hi,
I am just registered to this site-however I am looking at going in January if I could join a party. Live in Ak though, so I would have to meet up with a party down in mexico. thanks

kevin
Hey Kevin we will be there 1/16-1/24. PM myself or Corduroycalves.
CorduroyCalves
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

I think I can speak for Timf when I say we're both getting pretty psyched for this trip and would love to have some more folks join us on our adventure.