Aconcagua 2015/16

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Aconcagua 2015/16

Post by I Man »

A forum member made the summit yesterday with a friend. Looks like they left the States on December 13th.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

I Man wrote:A forum member made the summit yesterday with a friend. Looks like they left the States on December 13th.
Great to hear Matt! Fingers crossed. I'm boarding my flight in 30 min heading that way.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Is there anyone planning to go for Aconcagua early or mid February this year?

(Oh, and Happy New Year)
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

...(Crickets)....(Crickets)....

Anyone?

Bueller?
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

So any further word on Aconcagua this climbing season? Anything new to report from those who went this year?
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

One of my best friends, Rob Casserley, and his wife lead a small team up every year around the New Year and I corresponded with him yesterday. He was back in Mendoza at the hotel getting ready to depart Argentina. Apparently, they never made it above Camp 1 due to very high winds and bad weather. I am assuming they were on the Argentina side as they always go the False Polish route. That's about all I know.
AndyJB444
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndyJB444 »

I just got back in the States from a solo Aconcagua climb yesterday - tried twice from camp 2 on the 8th and 9th after four days of wind and snow. Could only make it up to around 21,500ft.

Not many summits (if any) while I was on the mountain - but that has probably changed recently as the weather seemed to be stabilizing as I was hiking out starting on the 11th.

cbrobin and partner were still on the hill - trying to get a summit on the 13th. I hope they were finally successful!
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

AndyJB444 wrote:
cbrobin and partner were still on the hill - trying to get a summit on the 13th. I hope they were finally successful!
Saw a FB post from cbrobin yesterday (13th) that he and Phil made it to the summit!
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

AndyJB444 wrote:I just got back in the States from a solo Aconcagua climb yesterday - tried twice from camp 2 on the 8th and 9th after four days of wind and snow. Could only make it up to around 21,500ft.

Not many summits (if any) while I was on the mountain - but that has probably changed recently as the weather seemed to be stabilizing as I was hiking out starting on the 11th.

Brutal conditions while I was down there. Spent six days and nights at 16,500' at Camp 1 on Plaza Argentina side - managed to get a carry in to 18,000', but then got hammered back down to Camp 1 on our attempted move day. Finally ran out of time. Rough year down there from a weather standpoint!
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
cbrobin
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by cbrobin »

Saw a FB post from cbrobin yesterday (13th) that he and Phil made it to the summit!
Thanks for the mention, Other.

On 13 January 2016 at 12:30 PM I stood atop Cerro Aconcagua. Mrwaffles989 was atop earlier.
More Colorado than the Natives.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Just sent a forecast to Peter (Dereferenced) for his solo attempt at Aconcagua. Hopefully a trip up the Polish Glacier if conditions allow. No snow and mostly sunny for the next week. Moderate winds, culminating in a major wind event Sunday night into Monday, before things drop off. Hopefully summit window on Tuesday night into Wednesday, where wind drops to only 30mph above 22,000ft. GOOD LUCK BUDDY!!! great prep for our upcomign trip to Alaska.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

been following along with the weather forecasts and webcam. Not the greatest looking today.

http://www.aconcaguanow.com/indice.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;