Nepal safe this summer???

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
logan14er
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Nepal safe this summer???

Post by logan14er »

Is Nepal going to be back up and running after the earthquake this summer? Or will it be another couple of years before the trekking's back to what it was there?
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Nepal safe this summer???

Post by XterraRob »

Call a professional guiding company and ask them. Their livelihood depends on it so I'm sure they are close to the pulse of the climbing season's future.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

logan14er wrote:Is Nepal going to be back up and running after the earthquake this summer? Or will it be another couple of years before the trekking's back to what it was there?
You can summit Mt. Everest in March at a tune of $59,000. I understand that a summer in Nepal means a monsoon. Most climbers prefer either a spring or a fall.
wildsidesky
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (24)

Post by wildsidesky »

I went to Nepal about two weeks after the earthquakes. It was safe then. I felt a few aftershocks, but it was completely safe. It's beyond safe now. I highly advise you go, especially to the Khumbu valley (the area below Everest) as their economy largely stems from tourism, and people thinking it was not safe to go all summer really hurt them. It's an amazing country and I highly recommend a trip there :)
mtnjim
14ers: 57 
13ers: 215
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjim »

You'll find more up to date info and some reports from very recent treks in Nepal over on Lonely Planet's Thorn tree forum. I saw a report on trekking as recent as December and they have a continually updated road conditions report that was started after the earthquake. Very useful.

jimS
boleslav
Trip Reports (0)

Post by boleslav »

Recently came across a report of a well known British company here is a link to their finding: http://themountaincompany.blogspot.co.u ... -post.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if it were my trip, I would go now, as I am prefer to hike when there is less people.
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

logan14er wrote:Is Nepal going to be back up and running after the earthquake this summer? Or will it be another couple of years before the trekking's back to what it was there?
The trekking industry is running well now with trails and teahouses in good shape after the earthquake. The major issue in Nepal today, is the lack of fuel and other basics due to a blockade on the India border. Without getting into the why and who to blame, this is causing great problems for the people of Nepal all the way from the Khumbu, to Annapurna and Makalu regions. There is reason to hope based on some agreements over the past few weeks so I would, and am working hard to, go to Nepal for a Spring or Autumn climb.

The people of Nepal need tourism more than ever, today.
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

I was there at the end of October for a few weeks. Everything was as good as could be expected. The fuel shortage was creating some issues but it's not something to keep you from going.

My trip was booked and paid for before the quake and I didn't think twice about going. It was a must go at that point more than ever before. Go, have a great time, enjoy everything and maybe splurge on things you wouldn't normally need or do. The Nepali people need tourism dollars now more than ever.

We went to Lukla and headed east so I didn't make it to Namche. But I would imagine things are pretty "normal" there as well.

As others have stated summers not really a good choice but if that's the only time you can go just be prepared for the weather.

The Nepali people are truly unique and so kind. The issues that country is having are very unfortunate and couldn't have happen to a nicer people :(
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

You can summit Mt. Everest in March at a tune of $59,000.
Actually, no one has summitted Everest in March. January, March, July, and November are the four remaining months that no one has summitted.
Or will it be another couple of years before the trekking's back to what it was there?
It will probably be a while before trekking was back to where it used to be. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't go now though (though summer is the Monsoon and the choices of treks are more limited). Nepal needs tourist more than ever right now. Lodges are being rebuilt. There is no reason to stay away; just go for it!
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rpdawes
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Scott P wrote:
You can summit Mt. Everest in March at a tune of $59,000.
Actually, no one has summitted Everest in March. January, March, July, and November are the four remaining months that no one has summitted.
I am sorry that I didn't read the details of the itinerary of the guided Mt. Everest expedition fully at a certain website. I should have said that the expedition will start in March with a goal of summiting the peak in May. The expedition is scheduled to last 60 days.

I am puzzled as to why nobody has summited Mt. Everest in March while somebody has done it in February.

Thanks for the information!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I am puzzled as to why nobody has summited Mt. Everest in March while somebody has done it in February.
For the same reason several people have summitted in December, but not November. If you are doing it during the cold season, you may as well get credited for a winter ascent. Of course people argue over the definition of winter, but that's another topic.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rpdawes
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Well,I don't think that the people in Nepal including climbers, guides and sherpas would argue over the definition of a winter ascent all day.