Chamonix advice?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Chamonix advice?

Post by scramble »

Hey, I've got a few days before/after a conference. Any suggestions for solo day hikes accessible by public transit? Also is there a good way to find ski or climbing partners over there? Popular website or bulletin board? Thanks for the help! -Sara
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Chamonix advice?

Post by desertdog »

I was there last summer to climb the Mont Blanc and stayed in Chamonix for four days. Get ready because you are going to love it!

There are unlimited hikes from the center of town with access by cable cars. In the town’s center, there is a tourist information center that you can walk in and find out information / recommendations on any type hike you want. That is what we did. Also, the Alpine Club’s office in the same area.

One hike we did that I thought was great was to take the Cog train ride to Montenvers, and descent the steep ladders to the Mer de Glace glacier. Awesome!

Also, lots of good restaurants. Two that we liked were Munchie and Pizzeria Des Moulins.

Have fun!

Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

For solo dayhikes, best bet is the range NW of Cham. Great scenery. Also good for scrambles. Marmot72 and I enjoyed the Aiguille Crochues to Belvedere traverse (5.easy, one 25 ft bolted rap used), accessed via the Flegere tele (20 min walk from Cham or grab a Carte d'Hôte). Belvedere by itself was maybe 5.0 and has famed views of the Blanc range. There are plenty of other options in that range too that are well within your ability and sans glacier travel.

It's also worth checking out the nearby via feratta (Passy - quite safe and solo-able with gear), alpine canyoneering (we used OXO canyoneering's guide/equipment service at reasonable price), and sport climbing (Gaillands - meh), all fairly easy to find partners.

Best of luck finding partners for the Blanc area though as those peaks are astounding.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Yukon Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yukon Ron »

My Beautiful Wife and I spent two months in France for our Honeymoon. The very first thing I will advise you to do, if you have not already done so, is download Yelp and use it. Everything we wanted to see, do, rent, buy, cook, dine, sleep, was all in that app, and for the most part, DEAD FREAKING ON!

Use this web site : http://www.chamonet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Pretty well kept up to date, and has good information throughout.

We summited Mont Blanc in early June, Still had a lot of snow and ice, and we were told it was unusual for that time of year. Super challenge on the climb, but there are trails that will be much less technical, and less exposure, by far.

Timing for the trip to explore and hike is paramount. And its elevation is higher than what is in Colorado. If you get the chance, do the side trips to Italy and Switzerland, you are right there.

Totally cool trip, awesome experience.

We spent a couple weeks there, Burgundy, and Paris. Another interesting, but presents no challenge whatsoever, hike is the source of the Seine. Only the romantics for European history, and French history would find this interesting. Another very cool hike are the old roman roads that have been rediscovered, with ancient artifacts discovered and left in place, that were used as directional signs.

We love France. We go just about every other year. You will love this trip. Have fun.
scramble
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

ey thanks a bunch for all the tips! Some of the summer hikes seem to go through avy terrain at the moment (tourist office: "yer gonna die"), but hooraaaay I met an awesome skiing partner at my hostel! My advice is to stay in a dirtbag hostel and ask around desperately. I will keep all the hikes and scrambles on file... can't wait to return some summer.
WarDamnPanic
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

We are also looking into climbing Mt. Blanc this summer. What is the best way to get from Zurich to Chamonix? I can't decide if we should take the train or rent a car. We may also explore Italy after the climb.
scramble
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

Hey, if you just want to go to Chamonix it's closer to fly to Geneva and take any kind of shuttle (book ahead). I used Alpybus and it worked just fine, was 25 euros one way. I know that you definitely don't want to take the train from Geneva to Chamonix, but I can't comment on much else. Have fun!
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

scramble wrote:I know that you definitely don't want to take the train from Geneva to Chamonix
Why not? Is it too indirect? Too expensive?
scramble
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

Researching and asking, I heard indirect/long/complicated, like you have to change a few times or something? The shuttle was really easy.