Everest BC trek spring 2017

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
schumi248
14ers: 17 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Everest BC trek spring 2017

Post by schumi248 »

right now, my plan is to do as many 14ers as possible this summer, and do a few over the winter. Any advice on equipment would be appreciated. Also, anyone interested in going as well??
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Everest BC trek spring 2017

Post by CoHi591 »

I'm potentially interested. I was hoping to do this next spring, with kala patthar and maybe island peak. I'm not sure about being able to afford it, but id love to do some training climbs with you in the next few months and hear about your plans, at least.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
schumi248
14ers: 17 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by schumi248 »

To start with I have a list I want to get through this summer:

Decalibron
Shav/Tab
Redcloud/Sunshine
Handies
San Luis
Belford/Oxford

Those are the ones I really want to do this summer, any more would be bonus. I was looking at going with G adventures, if you go with them, it is 1500 plus meals, which they say to allow 300-400 for, all that covers everything in Nepal.i have seen plane tickets for about 1300-1500 RT, so it would be about 3500 total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There is no reason to go with a guided group if you are just going to basecamp. The trails are very well defined and plenty of guidebooks are available. Taking a guided trip up to basecamp is like taking one up Mount Elbert.

That said, I'd highly recommend hiring a porter and using local food and lodging. This will help the local economy more than anything.

Going without a guiding company can be safer as well since you can move at you own pace. You can also do a lot of cool side trips to places like Ama Dablam Lakes, Ama Dablam Basecamp, Island Peak Basecamp, Nangarshang, Thame Monestary, Chukkung Ri, etc. The guided groups usually just do the standard route and they sit around doing nothing on acclimatization days.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

I did this trek in June/July 14 alone and without support. It's a long flight , but other than that probably less strenuous than any 14er. You could hire a porter, I did not and only carried a daypack as the guest houses have food and blankets. I never carried more than 7 pounds. Once acclimatized I was able to cover long distances in a day, which allowed for side trips and multiple ascents of Kala Patar for the views. I can highly recommend the off season as I rarely saw westerners.

Have fun,

Gabriel
Fr3ako
14ers: 38 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Fr3ako »

I'm in Lukla right now, just coming back from this trek including Gokyo via Chola La pass. I will put up a trip report soon if it might be of interest/help...
Who needs a thermometer? That’s what my nipples are for. -- Kintz
There are two rules to success in life. 1) Never tell everything you know. -- Roger H. Lincoln