Boot Choice for Mont Blanc

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PolishPete
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Boot Choice for Mont Blanc

Post by PolishPete »

Thanks for all the help folks.

Picked up a pair of Scarpa Phantom Guide boots. Wore them several times on walks around here (I'm a flatlander) to break them in as much as possible.

Leaving for MB today. Praying the weather cooperates!

I'll report back on how these boots did.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Pete,

I'm glad you were able to find a mid-range pair of boots that will work for you. Good luck with your climb! Let us know how it went.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
PolishPete
Trip Reports (3)

Post by PolishPete »

Well...the trip was a lot of fun, but the climb didn't really happen.

Unfortunately the weather was really poor for the entire week before, during, and after our trip. We thought about delaying our flights home to wait out the weather, but that wouldn't have worked out.

Rain down in the valley the whole time (some slight times of sun), and snow up higher. We did "attempt" it just to see how high we could get. There's a Mountain Hut office across from the Tourism Office which gives great info. They basically told us that with all the snow we'd be forming our own path up the rock stretch in between Tete and Gouter. (typically there is a clear cut path to follow and route finding is not an issue). Plus, the snow started 1 hour lower than Tete (not normal)...so we'd have some trail breaking from there as well. We went in there each day and asked for their opinion on weather and conditions.

Since the tram from Bellevue does not open until, well, today I think (June 10th or 11th)...we were still a week and a half too early, and had to walk up the tram line. We took a 4WD taxi (a Honda Pilot which cost 80 euro from St Gervais where he met us) up to Bellevue. The roads up to Bellevue are a lot of fun. Definitely need a 4WD vehicle to pass. Once walking the tram line, the first 1/2 was ok, but the 2nd half was covered in deep wet snow, angled down the rock face (the tram line skirts the rock face). That meant walking the edge of a nice steep drop off. We got about to the top of the tram line, and turned around. 2,000 feet and about 2 hours.

On the way up at some point we heard heavy machinery behind us, but could never see it due to the fog/clouds. On the way down we ran into them working on clearing the snow off of the tracks, prepping to open the tracks. They moved quickly and I bet that day they cleared the remainder of the tracks, so anyone the day after walking up would have a much easier time. It was cool to see the track workers, as I bet not too many people get to see that.

We called it at the top of the tracks as our very small weather window never cleared, and since the conditions were poor down low, we could only imagine how bad they were up high. (Speaking in terms of the actual weather at the time + snow/trail conditions).

The night before the climb we called the Gouter Hut directly. He said there were 20 people there (there's a total of 120 beds), from the day before who didn't go for the summit, and supposedly 30 coming that night (us 2 included in that). The cab driver told us he was driving 25 people up that day, and taking 20 people down (up to Bellevue, and down from Bellevue). We came across one guy on the way down that said it snowed too much the day before and beat him up so he came down the next day, and 7 people going up. (2 guys + guide and a group of 4).

We ended up hiking back down to the cars parking spot were the cab picked us up from, and saved the 80 euro descent trip. Some beautiful hiking there through the French hills.

Chamonix was awesome. We did manage a half day hike with our wives in between the rain around the Bellevue and ski lift area there, and then spent the rest of the time walking from restaurant/bar to the next restaurant/bar, and gear shops (so many gear shops in Chamonix!!) We spent an entire day drinking wine and playing Chamonopolix (as my wife re-named Monopoly), at a purple colored restaurant/bar. Great staff there, VERY reasonable prices, and good food. 2nd flood has couch seating and board games. Highly recommend them when it's raining out! Could never take the cable car up to Aiguille Du Midi as the top was stuck in the clouds the entire time.

So, we'll maybe plan a trip for next year, and try to go more in season, instead of early in the season. Definitely after the tram opens.
PolishPete
Trip Reports (3)

Post by PolishPete »

Some pics.

View from our AirBnb in Chamonix:

View on the way up:

My buddy looking at the way down:

Track workers on our way down:
kevintheclimber
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kevintheclimber »

oh man looks like you guys were just too early! I went there and climbed mont blanc in July last summer. conditions were drastically different, even the town of chaminox looks different. if you want to avoid peak tourist season maybe September would have been better??
Shooter
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 228 1 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shooter »

To bad the weather didn't work out for you but it sounds like a great trip. I'm hoping to get this one next year.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Sorry you didn't make it up, but hey, you were hanging in Chamonix so it's ok!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Glad you had a good trip. Sorry to hear you weren't able to summit Mont Blanc.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

Too bad you missed the summit this time!My partner in Switzerland tells me that the alps are absolutely socked with snow right now. If it makes you feel any better, he said that the "normal" route on Mont Blanc was only just climbed for the first time this season 5 days ago, and in subprime conditions.

I will be spending three weeks in the Swiss Alps late this July, so while I'm hoping some of that snowpack lingers for aesthetics/interest, hopefully not so much as to deter me from my goals.
WarDamnPanic
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

Sorry to hear about the tough weather last week. My wife and I are climbing Mont Blanc in August. I have read a few trip reports on here but does anyone have any other good informational TRs? We are trying to decide between the Gouter, 3 Monts, or Val Veny route.
PolishPete
Trip Reports (3)

Post by PolishPete »

Thanks folks. Yeah, hanging out in Chamonix ain't so bad. Even in the rain!

I keep watching the weather on MB just from curiosity. Thinks aren't any better now, and in fact worse then we were there. They season just isn't changing there quite yet.

Some friends want to go to Ireland in September. I'm thinking about going along, and taking a flight out to Geneva myself from there and attempting MB again. Really want to see the top!