Himalayan area trek suggestions

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
koeffling
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 3
Trip Reports (10)

Himalayan area trek suggestions

Post by koeffling »

I will be in India doing some humanitarian work the first week in September and would like to add on a trek since we'll be in the region. It's on my bucket list to see the Himalayas. Do you all have any suggestions for a trek within the 10-14 day range? My first thought was, of course, an Everest Base Camp trek but it seems the Annapurna circuit or a Manaslu region would also be quite nice. I haven't research the latter two much, so I'm not sure how much time in involved in these or if it variable or a choose your own adventure type.

There will be two of us, both females. Also wondering if I should have any safety concerns? I was hoping to hire some local guides and porters rather than go through a larger tour/guide company, we may have some local contacts there. But if it is safer to join a group, we obviously would. Also, I have a fair amount of hiking experience in CO and a little in South America, but my partner is a novice.

Any suggestions?
In all things of nature, there is something of the marvelous. -Aristotle

If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. -African Proverb
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Himalayan area trek suggestions

Post by Scott P »

Do you all have any suggestions for a trek within the 10-14 day range?
Since you are short on time (10-14 days is short on time by Nepal trekking standards), I'd either head for Langtang or the Annapurna South Basecamp. You likely don't have enough time for Manaslu. You don't have time to do the entire Annapurna Circuit, but there is a road along most of it now anyway. I'd recommend heading elsewhere and to one of the two above treks.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

The Ebc trek isfun, but since you'll be in India why not catch a flight to Ladakh? You can summit Stok Kangri over 20, 000 ft from the town of Leh in 2 or 3 days once acclimatized. Flights from Delhi to Leh are really cheap. Leh is mostly Buddist and Tibetan so a very different cultural experience tha much of India.

Have fun,

G
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It is worth mentioning that Nepal can be wet in early September, so be aware of that.
vsubedi
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vsubedi »

I suggest reaching out to one of the trekking companies in Nepal. They'll take care of permits and provide guides. It's a good idea to have guides, not as much for safety( Himalayan region in Nepal has always been safe except during a decade long civil war which has been over for years now) but since you don't have a lot of time. Also there are other treks in Nepal which take fewer days(still intensive enough).

http://www.trekkingpartners.com/blog/to ... eks-nepal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you decide to do other treks you don't necessarily need guides. Many of these treks though remote will have small villages on your route. And people in those villages are very used to with foreign tourists. And thus you'll easily find accommodations.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

I second the Ladakh suggestion, although climbing to 20K' & back in less then 2 weeks would be a stretch for me (many could do this though, especially if you live at > 5K' like many on this forum). Stok Kangri is very accessible but there are acclimatization issues for sea level people like me. I might opt for the Markha valley or google a number of other Ladakh treks that would be very doable in your time frame. Leh is a very straight forward flight (for that part of the world) from New Delhi. Many Monasteries to explore with rich religious history. It is said to be more like old Tibet then Tibet. The monsoon is said to be less of an issue in Ladakh since it is somewhat shadowed by some of the Himalayan peaks to the south. Early September would be in season there.
Best Regards
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LoveThisSite »

Disclaimer: I haven't been to Nepal, but I have extensive traveling experience in India

I would advice caution - 2 females hiking by themselves (even if there is a guide) will attract attention. Chances are you'll be fine, but I'd definitely encourage you to find 1-2 male partners if you can. If you do decide to go, I strongly recommend not venturing out at night in remote/isolated locations on your own (I'm probably stating the obvious), and definitely stick together to reduce the chances of being attacked.

Good luck! Going to the Himalayas is on my bucket list as well..
koeffling
Trip Reports (10)

Post by koeffling »

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's very helpful as I don't know much about the area. We may choose a guide company for safety concerns.

If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. -African Proverb
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

We may choose a guide company for safety concerns.
It won't be needed on the main treks in Nepal. I don't know about Ladakh though.

Taking a guide on the main treks in Nepal is like taking one for Mount Elbert. It won't be needed. Porters are highly recommended though and hiring them is a good way to put money into the local economy and a good way to spread the wealth around (guided trips may or may not do this).
koeffling
Trip Reports (10)

Post by koeffling »

Scott P wrote:Taking a guide on the main treks in Nepal is like taking one for Mount Elbert.
Gotcha. And I assume you can hire porters in Kathmandu? or from wherever the trek starts?

Thanks for the help.

Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Kathmandu, Lukla, and Pokhara are all good places to arrange porters. Any guesthouse, lodge, or hotel will be able to do this, including in advance.