Fake everest climb

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Fake everest climb

Post by rijaca »

Trotter wrote: Some people crave attention
Exhibit A: https://www.facebook.com/groups/82338447841/
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Pretty good wrapup of fakery: http://deadspin.com/meet-the-couple-who ... 1786032316

Photoshop evidence: Image
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

rijaca wrote:
Exhibit B: People with north of 2600 forum posts on 14ers.com.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

tjmartn1 wrote:
rijaca wrote:
Exhibit B: People with north of 2600 forum posts on 14ers.com.
Exhibit C: People that post their Instagram accounts....
Instagram.PNG
Instagram.PNG (41.22 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

TravelingMatt wrote:Clearly we need a summit register on Everest.
With a Kedrowski business card holder?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Alan Arnette wrote:
derekesq wrote:
Sean Nunn wrote:I read the entire article, and there is nothing in it about their motivation for fakery.
Same question of motivation in the Lockte matter. Motivation aside, given the proliferation of media, video, internet, etc, not sure how people think the truth will not come out.
They wanted to lay claim to being the first married couple from India to summit Everest. India has 'rewarded' Everest summiters so there is a lot of attraction and benefit to become famous this way. BY the way, this couple has been previously accused of falsifying summits.
Ah, well, that makes sense then. Too bad but I guess sometimes there are issues like that. I recall the situation where a pair of twins competed tag-team style (posing as a single individual) in the Comrades Marathon in South Africa. They were trying to earn money just to survive.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

Oman wrote:Pretty good wrapup of fakery: http://deadspin.com/meet-the-couple-who ... 1786032316

Photoshop evidence: Image
Best line in the article was the last sentence:
“They are not cooperating and have been absent for the inquiry,” said Ganpatrao S. Madgulkar, a police official in the city of Pune, in Maharashtra, who is looking into the case. One place where the police can rule out looking for them: Mount Everest.
:lol:
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

I heard about that while free-soloing El Cap. I have the pictures to prove it!
Last edited by mikefromcraig on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
Gibson135
14ers: 37  4 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Gibson135 »

Brought my dog Juneau up there once years ago... no problem at all. She had a blast. :wink:
juneau-everest.jpg
juneau-everest.jpg (78.32 KiB) Viewed 4351 times
Last edited by Gibson135 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:
I Man wrote:Someone famously lied about climbing K2 in 2009 or 2010 as well.
"Dr." Jon?
This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title on the home page. Lol
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

derekesq wrote:
Sean Nunn wrote:I read the entire article, and there is nothing in it about their motivation for fakery. I am not sure why anyone would fake climbing Everest. It has been done so many times, by so many people, that I cannot imagine how anyone would stand to gain financially from a run-of-the-mill Everest summitting. I suppose you might become famous in your hometown, but who on earth could live with knowing that the only reason you are "famous" is that everyone thinks you did something that you really didn't do?
Same question of motivation in the Lockte matter. Motivation aside, given the proliferation of media, video, internet, etc, not sure how people think the truth will not come out.
This couple apparently had some financial motivation, but on the more general point, I think some fakes happen BECAUSE of all the media, video, internet, etc. If I could fool thousands of people in spite of all that attention, I'd be pretty damned proud of myself. And if I got caught, I'd still be able to laugh about the fact that people who have never met me are twisting themselves in knots trying to figure out my motivation on some internet chat board...

Lochte is a different story though, he was just afraid to tell his mommy the truth...