Fake everest climb

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Fake everest climb

Post by derekesq »

Sean Nunn wrote:I read the entire article, and there is nothing in it about their motivation for fakery. I am not sure why anyone would fake climbing Everest. It has been done so many times, by so many people, that I cannot imagine how anyone would stand to gain financially from a run-of-the-mill Everest summitting. I suppose you might become famous in your hometown, but who on earth could live with knowing that the only reason you are "famous" is that everyone thinks you did something that you really didn't do?
Same question of motivation in the Lockte matter. Motivation aside, given the proliferation of media, video, internet, etc, not sure how people think the truth will not come out.
Who is John Galt
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

derekesq wrote:
Sean Nunn wrote:I read the entire article, and there is nothing in it about their motivation for fakery.
Same question of motivation in the Lockte matter. Motivation aside, given the proliferation of media, video, internet, etc, not sure how people think the truth will not come out.
They wanted to lay claim to being the first married couple from India to summit Everest. India has 'rewarded' Everest summiters so there is a lot of attraction and benefit to become famous this way. BY the way, this couple has been previously accused of falsifying summits.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

I'm terrified that the authorities find out that I faked my summit of Mt. Sherman.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

wineguy wrote:I'm terrified that the authorities find out that I faked my summit of Mt. Sherman.
Or worse, that you really did climb Bross
1 Mt. Bross
:-"
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
GA_peach
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GA_peach »

Sean Nunn wrote:... but who on earth could live with knowing that the only reason you are "famous" is that everyone thinks you did something that you really didn't do?
Sadly the list is endless of people who fake their background/accomplishments, the worst to former military guys like me are the ones that claim valor medals when they were really remf's or try to pass off as SF/Delta/SEAL/Ranger/Force Recon or all of the above at once!

The pictures of some of these are truly staggering in their display of ineptitude.
Alan
Attachments
fakes.jpg
fakes.jpg (41.45 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
There's a fine line between hardcore and stupidity.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Sean Nunn wrote:I read the entire article, and there is nothing in it about their motivation for fakery. I am not sure why anyone would fake climbing Everest. It has been done so many times, by so many people, that I cannot imagine how anyone would stand to gain financially from a run-of-the-mill Everest summitting. I suppose you might become famous in your hometown, but who on earth could live with knowing that the only reason you are "famous" is that everyone thinks you did something that you really didn't do?
same reason people do reality shows or do stupid stunts to get on tosh.0. Some people crave attention
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

The very first claim to have summited an 8000 meter peak - Annapurna by Herzog - was fake.
David Roberts has written about this. I do not know if it is included in Roberts book mentioned by Kaiman.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The very first claim to have summited an 8000 meter peak - Annapurna by Herzog - was fake.
Herzog/Lachenal certainly climbed Annapurna. Herzog def. also admitted that his book contained many made up parts, but I don't think anyone doubts the claim that the team did summit.

When I think of fake climbs, the one true champion is Maestri and Cerro Torre.
osprey
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

David Roberts wrote of this in the Climbing Magazine December 15, 1997 - February 1, 1998 issue.
I tore out the article and keep it in my copy of Herzog's book Annapurna.
Roberts also wrote a full book about the subject.
I can mail anyone a copy of the article should they desire. I do not know if it is available online.

Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

osprey wrote:David Roberts wrote of this in the Climbing Magazine December 15, 1997 - February 1, 1998 issue.
I tore out the article and keep it in my copy of Herzog's book Annapurna.
Roberts also wrote a full book about the subject.
I can mail anyone a copy of the article should they desire. I do not know if it is available online.
Roberts (at least in his book) did not say that the ascent was fake. He said the opposite. What he did say is that the official report was watered down and didn't contain all the "dirty laundry".

Also, even if he did say that (which seems doubtful?), David Roberts is not the only authority on mountaineering (plus he would have had to reverse his position). In fact his own books of his own trips contain many exaggerations. I still like his books though.

I wouldn't mind if you emailed me the article though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Here is Robert's (partial) book online:

https://books.google.com/books?id=RI4xK ... ne&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says several times that Herzog reached the summit.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
osprey
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

Justiner and Scott P are correct.
I re read the Climbing Magazine article and realize I have misinterpreted the whole article since I first read it in 1998.
I retract my statement and agree that they did reach the summit.