Zugspitze - Germany

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greatdane303
Trip Reports (0)

Zugspitze - Germany

Post by greatdane303 »

Has anyone been up Zugspitze, the highest peak in Germany? Most tourist sites only talk about taking the tramways/lifts to the top and say it's too rugged to hike down. But another site mentions three hiking routes. I'm trying to find out if Zugspitze can be hiked in early September without special mountaineering gear?
jfox
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jfox »

Contact Mountain Man Dan. He climbed it last year and is familiar with Germany.

j
scheelt
14ers: 44 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scheelt »

I climbed it last summer. You shouldn't need any special mountaineering gear. There is a glacier which is more of a giant snow field, crampons shouldn't be needed. From the glacier to the summit there is some exposure and depending on the route is probably class 3. I'll be there this weekend so if you want any specific information let me know and I'll get it for you. Send me an email, travis.scheel@moron.af.mil.
the_okie
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Zugspitze - Germany

Post by the_okie »

anything new on this mountain? My gf and I are talking about a trip to Germany next year and it would be nice to cross this off my list. I have the same first name as the first (recorded) guy to summit it, so it's like destiny or something.

She's physically fit but she doesn't do ropes...and frankly neither do I, though I'm at least a little more exposure-tolerant than she is.

I keep finding conflicting information regarding whether ropes are required and this glacier stuff. For every one that says it's there, there's another that says "only normal hiking gear required". Wish I could find a route description anything as detailed as what we have here on 14ers! Even a difficulty classification and exposure rating so I can compare to something I've seen would be nice.
Joe
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Zugspitze - Germany

Post by thebeave7 »

I went up the hollental route and down the normal route to Knorrhutte last year in June. We brought microspikes but didn't need them for the glacier. We used via ferrata gear for all the cabled sections of the hollental, but some people just scramble up it. There is definitely some exposure on the hollental route, the other side of the peak is a simple walk up.
Here are a bunch of photos from our traverse of the Zugspitze last year.
http://www.ericjlee.com/Photo/thumbnails.php?album=345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs