Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Taking Kids hiking

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Taking Kids hiking

Postby Upwardlybound » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Taking kids on 14ers is great fun for all involved, if the child has the drive to do it. We started our four kids early, most around six years old (actually, I took one up Quandary in a baby backpack, but that doesn't count). A healthy, active child can do great things. Most are adults now and climb on their own (I'd only slow them down!), including routes that are way too challenging for me. We need kids that are active, not sedentary, and climbing, hiking, backpacking, etc. are a healthy and fun alternative to screen time.
"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals His thoughts to men, He who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth -- the Lord God Almighty is His name." Amos 4:13

Postby CBow » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:06 am

Hello all,
My name is Chad, and this is my first time posting here. I just joined and found this thread. I am planning on a trip to BV, in July of this year with the family. And I was going to take my boys hiking along with me...they are 8 yr old twins. Originally, I was planning on a Harvard/Columbia hike, but recently changed my mind to Yale. We are moderately experienced hikers, my boys love to hike with me. We are from Texas, and have hiked Texas and Arkansas...yeah nothing like the 14ers I know. I used to go up with my family and ski back in the day, and loved it up there so much. So much that in a few years, my family and I plan on a move up there...and we'll get to hike 14ers all the time...so looking forward to that.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and say I will be doing hopefully Mt. Yale in July.
Chad B

Postby Scott P » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 am

Good luck and post a trip report!
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby huffy13 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Delorean_Man wrote:I'm just curious if any other parents have taken their younger kids with them. My boy is 6 and keeps asking to go climbing with me. Obviously it would be class 1 right now. I don't think he would quite be ok enough yet.

You would be surprised how ready a 6 yr old might be. Sometimes the hardest part is dealing with a short attention span. My son was 11 and my middle daughter was 10 when I took them on their first 14ers and they both did awesome...better than me in fact.(and we are flatlanders to boot!) You may want to look at some nice 13ers too...they can be just as awesome. When I hiked Shavano there was a guy that had his 5 year old with him...he had given his son a really cool hat that looked like something Indiana Jones would wear...the kid's imagination was probably going absolutely nuts just looking at it as an adventure. Oh, lots of snacks, water and maybe even some bribery would help too.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby huffy13 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 pm

CBow wrote:Hello all,
My name is Chad, and this is my first time posting here. I just joined and found this thread. I am planning on a trip to BV, in July of this year with the family. And I was going to take my boys hiking along with me...they are 8 yr old twins. Originally, I was planning on a Harvard/Columbia hike, but recently changed my mind to Yale. We are moderately experienced hikers, my boys love to hike with me. We are from Texas, and have hiked Texas and Arkansas...yeah nothing like the 14ers I know. I used to go up with my family and ski back in the day, and loved it up there so much. So much that in a few years, my family and I plan on a move up there...and we'll get to hike 14ers all the time...so looking forward to that.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and say I will be doing hopefully Mt. Yale in July.

Good luck from one Texan to another! Good luck on Yale.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby CO Native » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 am

Take your kids. It's a wonderful experience. Just remember when you take them the hike is for them, not you.

My daughter and her cousin on Handies Peak at age 5:

My youngest on Antero at age 5:

My middle child at age 6 on Sherman:
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Dark Helmet » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:15 pm

absolutely take them...

my son did 9+ miles to 11K+ft at age 6
he did 9ish miles to 12,2+ (Chasm Lake) at age 7
he's doing his first 13er this year at age 8... MLW... he LOVES hiking above treeline:

Linus at Chasm Lake

Linus first deuce above 12Kft..

Looking back at MLW and Longs from tree-line.

Previous