Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Weather Reports

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Weather Reports

Postby HuskyRunner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:50 pm

West Chicago creek is a nice hike and the upper basin is pretty but the trail doesn't really go to Hell's Hole, you have to do some off trail hiking to get to the Hole but it's not hard to find.

Other nice hikes just a bit further up the road are the Chicago Lakes from Echo Lake or the Resthouse trail from the campground just past Echo Lake. You can reach Lincoln lake from Resthouse, think it's around 15 miles round trip but the trail is scenic and well graded, other trails in the area may have significant blown down trees like near Beartrack Lakes (trail is virtually impossible to follow and certainly not fun in it's current condition)
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby semitrueskerm » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Relatively speaking, (knock on wood), we've had pretty good luck with weekend weather. This is the first weekend in a while that I had wanted to climb, but stayed down in Santa Fe due to the forecast. I think I made the right call. But, as already mentioned, start early.

Postby schrund » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:49 pm

I just arrived in Telluride and it rained the whole way down, it's raining outside still. Am hoping to approach Kilpacker tomorrow, we'll see.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby 14erFred » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Rather than traveling to a particular location and looking for 14er climbs nearby, I recommend traveling to 14ers for which the weather forecast is promising and looking for towns nearby. Flexibility is the key.

Postby JoniBologna » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:24 pm

We bailed on our 14er plans this weekend based on chance of precipitation alone. We opted for a nearby trail run. It was great to get out in the foggy weather. In my current financial state, it's not worth the gas money to drive the distance to see what the weather will do. If I had the time and money, I probably would though. Ultimately, those mountains will still be there. There will be plenty of opportunities to climb them, and there are other ways to find a connection with nature other than reaching a summit. I know some of you will think I'm nuts, but I'm more about the journey.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:14 pm

14erFred wrote:Rather than traveling to a particular location and looking for 14er climbs nearby, I recommend traveling to 14ers for which the weather forecast is promising and looking for towns nearby. Flexibility is the key.

For tomorrow, maybe Mount Whitney would work. :mrgreen: Every 14er in Colorado seems to have about a 70-80% chance in the forecast.

Seriously, this storm is regional, not afternoon thunderstorm stuff. Tuesday things will be clearing out and then an early start should work.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby MountainDawg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Monsoon cold fronts are never ideal for "enjoying gods gift".

Previous