Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snowshoeing 14ers

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Snowshoeing 14ers

Postby stoffey18 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:35 pm

I recently moved back to Colorado and I've made a goal for myself to snowshoe some 14ers this winter as I love the cold, winter camping, and hiking. So I figure snowshoeing would be a good idea (and I've done it before so I know I enjoy it.) However I've never done a 14er in the snow but have hiked several 14ers including a couple class threes during the past couple months. So as a snowshoeing beginner when it comes to 14ers, what are some good, beginning 14ers to conquer once the snow has fallen? I'd like the first to just be an up and down, one day affair, however I thoroughly enjoy snow camping so I'd also like suggestion on an overnight adventure.

I couldn't find anything specifically relating to this in my search. I don't ski very well so it'll be up and down on snow shoes if that helps refine your suggestions at all. Thanks so much for your input and I'm really looking forward to the winter season!

Re: Snowshoeing 14ers

Postby tbonesaredelicious » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Quandary's east ridge would be a pretty safe bet.

Postby smoove » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Elbert. East Ridge.

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 pm

stoffey18 wrote:I recently moved back to Colorado and I've made a goal for myself to snowshoe some 14ers this winter as I love the cold, winter camping, and hiking. So I figure snowshoeing would be a good idea (and I've done it before so I know I enjoy it.) However I've never done a 14er in the snow but have hiked several 14ers including a couple class threes during the past couple months. So as a snowshoeing beginner when it comes to 14ers, what are some good, beginning 14ers to conquer once the snow has fallen? I'd like the first to just be an up and down, one day affair, however I thoroughly enjoy snow camping so I'd also like suggestion on an overnight adventure.

I couldn't find anything specifically relating to this in my search. I don't ski very well so it'll be up and down on snow shoes if that helps refine your suggestions at all. Thanks so much for your input and I'm really looking forward to the winter season!

I would consider an avalanche course prior to hitting the snow covered peaks.

Postby The Moose » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:39 am

I think these notes are also helpful: I would highly recommend choosing a route with minimal avalanche danger

http://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14ers-in-winter/337648
Now, bring me that horizon!

Postby Wildernessjane » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:13 am

Rock-a-Fella wrote: I would consider an avalanche course prior to hitting the snow covered peaks.

+1

Friends of Berthoud Pass: http://berthoudpass.org/category/classes/

Colorado Mountain School: http://coloradomountainschool.com/plan-your-trip/

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:28 am

Pikes is a good snowshoe. Before you go, check the cog schedule and time it so that you reach the top while the summit house is open. Then you can go inside to warm up with doughnuts and hot cocoa. Bring cash or a credit card. The Crags Trailhead is usually accessible year-round, and the route is short and gentle enough to allow you to get back out in daylight, if you start early enough.

If you're looking for solitude, or a wilderness experience, then Pikes is not a good choice, obviously.

Postby Turtle Boy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:32 am

I agree that that Quandary, the East Ridge is a good winter 14er climb. As you start to climb the ridge, definitely look backwards to note your return point into the trees. Later in the day things can be pretty braided due to skiers.