Transitioning into snow climbing

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FrontrangeDan
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Transitioning into snow climbing

Post by FrontrangeDan »

I've been climbing 14ers since 2012 (started with the Keyhole Route on Longs, I also did Grays last June), and for a while now I've wanted to transition into snow climbing in winter/spring and now seems to be a good time as I'm going into my sophomore year at CSU.

As far as gear goes, I'm definitely well set on layers but I just wasn't sure on what technical mountaineering gear I'd need. Are boots, an ice axe and crampons a good place to start? Any particular brands/models I should look for (I hear a lot of people are partial to La Sportiva Nepals)?

Is this forum a good place to look for people willing to teach a beginner like me? I've had a somewhat hard time finding people at CSU who do mountaineering.

Thanks in advance!
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Transitioning into snow climbing

Post by ameristrat »

You'll find people to tag along with here, but it'll be a while! If you mean couloir climbs, you've got probably 9 months before anything is back in shape (beginner climbs anyway). If you mean just non-summer hiking and climbing, look for a thread about the Winter Welcomer on Quandary in late October or early November. That's a great way to meet people on the forum and whet your appetite for some winter climbs without going in headfirst.

And welcome to the forum!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

It depends on what you mean by snow climbs.
Winter climbing on low angle soft snow / bare ridges. requires warm clothes, probably snow shoes, and probably micro spikes. Stiff mountaineering boots are not required, warm / waterproof boots are. There are several routes that are low angle enough to not require an axe.

If you are looking to climb steeper snow in the spring time then you will need ice axe, crampons, and moutnaineering boots. I would start with the axe. Angel of shavano is a good intro to snow climbing, and can be done with quality mountaineering snow shoes and an ice axe.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

ameristrat wrote: If you mean couloir climbs, you've got probably 9 months before anything is back in shape (beginner climbs anyway).
Despite it being late in the season, if snow climbing/self arrest practice is the goal, there are still plenty of opportunities in many of Colorado's mountain's, particularly in RMNP or the Indian Peaks.

Edited: didn't see that you specifically said "couloirs".
esagas
14ers: 46  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by esagas »

CSU's Outdoor Program offers a snow climbing course every summer, as well as courses on rock climbing, backcountry skiing, etc. Check it out:
http://campusrec.colostate.edu/OutdoorProgram/Index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would also suggest that you take the Outdoor Leadership courses taught by Rodney Ley and Pat Rastall (NRRT 350 & NRRT 351). I took them years ago and I learned a lot. Both Rodney and Pat are great instructors with years of outdoors experience under their belts, and I'm honored to have had them as my mentors. You'll also meet likeminded students in their courses.

Finally, CSU has a student-run Outdoor Club. I don't know how active the club is, but give it a try:
https://ramlink.collegiatelink.net/orga ... club/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;