Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

Postby Tony1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Not sure what peak I'll end up finishing on... Capitol had my attention for a while because of its powerful, intimidating nature. I decided recently that it doesn't matter to me, as long as it's something that is sure to be a hell of a lot of fun! Sunlight has caught my attention too. That one just seems special.

Postby LuLuLuv » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:57 pm

If i had it to do over again....I would have picked Pikes Peak or Evans so that my family members and LuLu could have met me on top.

Postby MountainMedic » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Wish people would stop calling others out for using the term "finishing." I'll go ahead and use it again...finishing the 14ers is a meaningful moment for anyone. It's a lot of fun and work, and I like to think you learn a lot about yourself doing so. By no means does it mean you're "done." Done and finished are two very different things, and I think that's understood.

Once the ankle heals up I'll be going forth with the same climbing schedule I was trying to keep. Sneffels SW Ridge all the way.

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:02 pm

I have 11 peaks left, so I have been thinking about this subject recently. I decided that I would like my first lap finisher to be one that is at least a bit easier and hopefully a "sure thing" because I plan to have a small group with me. I kind of messed that up because nearly all the ones I have left are more difficult, so my finisher will have to be Castle/Conundrum.

byMountainMedic » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:58 pm
Wish people would stop calling others out for using the term "finishing." I'll go ahead and use it again...finishing the 14ers is a meaningful moment for anyone. It's a lot of fun and work, and I like to think you learn a lot about yourself doing so. By no means does it mean you're "done." Done and finished are two very different things, and I think that's understood.

I agree. Just because I finished a steak at the Ore House after my peaks last week in no way means that I am done with eating steaks!
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby DeucesWild » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:14 pm

Somewhat of a prick wrote:Bross

Yes, Prick, Bross would be a grand finisher. Except for the absentee landlords and their shyster representatives who are looking to jail you for trespass and pocket a few bucks in the process...

I yearn for the challenge of Bross, unencumbered by the stigma or risk imposed by the shyster pirates who mostly live in, or support Vail.

Kafka says "screw them" and climbs it all the time but I'm more conservative than he is.

I need to listen to him more often, I think.
Last edited by DeucesWild on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby sunny1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:17 pm

The best 14er to "finish" on is the one that makes you happy.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:06 pm

MountainMedic wrote:Wish people would stop calling others out for using the term "finishing." I'll go ahead and use it again...finishing the 14ers is a meaningful moment for anyone. It's a lot of fun and work, and I like to think you learn a lot about yourself doing so. By no means does it mean you're "done." Done and finished are two very different things, and I think that's understood.

Once the ankle heals up I'll be going forth with the same climbing schedule I was trying to keep. Sneffels SW Ridge all the way.

Exactly sir... the wheel keeps spinning, either spin with it or get run over. (and no, that's not a play on your accident last year.)

I will make Holy Cross my 58th unique 14er on this journey, and then choose to skip a few for a while because they are right bastards.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Scotzman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks all for the excellant feedback, much to reflect on!

ChrisinAZ wrote:Longs - iconic, spectacular peak to finish on. Ditto for Capitol, N Maroon, and Sneffels
Pikes or Evans - non-hikers can join you for the celebration
Crestone Needle/Peak - if you want to save the most fun ones for last
Chicago Basin - if you like your finishers on the remote, rugged, and beautiful side
Uncompahgre - if you want to finish with the best views (IMHO) of any 14er. Handies comes pretty close

Peaks that I'd find less ideal for finishing on: Elbert (yeah, it's the highest, but not all that interesting besides that), Antero (ATVs), Culebra (pricey and not very interesting), Wilsons group (worthy climbs, but loose enough to detract from the enjoyment of finishing), Sherman or Bross (because they're Sherman and Bross).

As for me, I'm planning to finish on Holy Cross via Halo Ridge next summer. It looks like a gorgeous area, is tough enough to be worthy of being a finisher, but is easy enough that it should be quite doable on a good-weather day. If you're the religious sort, it'd have added significance too...

Love the info here; yes there are many difference things to consider and in reality it can all change and be in flux as the list shrinks; things or ideas that I have now may change as I progress. That said I was thinking views first, slight challenge but not to the highest level as to add to the chance of not finishing, since I would hope to do it with a group of hiking friends. I had actually thought of Uncompahgre and Longs as ideas, but again it's really quite premature to even think of that right now, I'm just looking to aquire some information and thoughts which everyone has so graciously given.
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Postby Scotzman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:18 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:
fleetmack wrote:Can't speak for a finisher as I don't plan on finishing them, but I can tell you which one to do second-to-last.

Columbia. My opinion is that one should only climb this once that person is positive he or she will climb all of the 14ers, but don't do it last, because you want to enjoy your final 14er.

That is in fact an issue with the Northeastern lists, especially Owls Head in New Hampshire. Eighteen miles round-trip to a completely treed-in summit. There are 48 4000-foot peaks in New Hampshire and just about everyone does it 46th or 47th. No one would hike it if it weren't on the list, but no one wants to finish on it either. It was my 47th.

I can relate to that concept, while I haven't hiked Owls head I know all about it, and I have of course hiked the Adirondack equivalant of it, being Allen Mtn.
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:52 pm

DeucesWild wrote:
Somewhat of a prick wrote:Bross

Yes, Prick, Bross would be a grand finisher. Except for the absentee landlords and their shyster representatives who are looking to jail you for trespass and pocket a few bucks in the process...

I yearn for the challenge of Bross, unencumbered by the stigma or risk imposed by the shyster pirates who mostly live in, or support Vail.

Kafka says "screw them" and climbs it all the time but I'm more conservative than he is.

I need to listen to him more often, I think.

Who are you calling a prick, pal?

:-"

Postby emcee smith » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:49 am

Based on a recommendation from Doggler, I finished on Pikes, with 7 of my most frequent hiking buddies, via the Barr Trail. Stayed overnight at the camp and rented the 10? person cabin. The trail was easy enough to pack beer, Red Bull for the camp, and champagne for the summit, and I think that we all had a lot of fun.

56 was Capital, 57 was Pyramid, so I had plenty of spice at the end, but I wouldn't trade Pikes away.
40736_1601221585838_1095026276_31639079_7668740_n.jpg
40736_1601221585838_1095026276_31639079_7668740_n.jpg (130.47 KiB) Viewed 190 times
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"

Postby rijaca » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 am

wildlobo71 wrote:Exactly sir... the wheel keeps spinning, either spin with it or get run over. (and no, that's not a play on your accident last year.)

"The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will

Small wheel turn by the fire and rod
Big wheel turn by the grace of God
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground"

Pyramid is a good one to complete the List.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

PreviousNext