Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Elbert - Gaiters and Spikes?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Mt. Elbert - Gaiters and Spikes?

Postby bogman2121 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 am

Hey all,

Sorry to have another thread with a similar ring to all of the others. I'm doing Elbert Sunday and the forecast is calling for some cold and looks like even a bit of snow this week...

I've got some solid boots but the only gear I don't have right now is gaiters and micro-spikes. Anyone think those will be necessary this weekend or can I hold off on purchasing them? I'm a bit new to all of this and would really appreciate any and all help.

Re: Mt. Elbert - Gaiters and Spikes?

Postby nyker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 am

If there will be a decent amount of snow, gaitors would be helpful on any peak, including Elbert. Unless you're doing a lot of winter climbing, the uninsulated type will probably work fine, otherwise, you might want to invest in a thicker pair if you intend on doing more in the winter and snow. OR makes good gaitors. Get the higher type, not the very short trail runner models (designed more for scree). A little dusting or couple inches probably would not warrant using gaitors.

As far as spikes, I am not sure how helpful they would be unless there are icy sections up there, but they are light enough to throw in the pack in case you need them and you'll probably find them useful at some point. If you plan on doing more snow climbing you might want to look into a set of regular crampons.

With snow, I'd carry poles to help balance walking on some slippery sections.

Have fun!

Postby OSUkyle21 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:55 am

I am planning on hitting Elbert on Sunday as well. Doing the Standard Route. What time are you starting?

I actually just went and bought some gaiters and spikes to have just in case.

Any other gear recommended?

Any idea of how much snow if any fell on Elbert anyone?

Postby climbingaggie03 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:00 pm

I doubt you'll need micro spikes, but you should probably have some gaiters with you just in case

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:31 pm

nyker wrote:OR makes good gaitors. Get the higher type, not the very short trail runner models (designed more for scree).

I have both, and I use the short gaiters more often than the knee-high version. They're all that's needed on most winter trails, and should be high enough for this week's snow.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby bogman2121 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:40 pm

OSUkyle21 wrote:I am planning on hitting Elbert on Sunday as well. Doing the Standard Route. What time are you starting?

Same time as you Kped