Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er newbie - frequent urination while hiking, AMS??

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

14er newbie - frequent urination while hiking, AMS??

Postby summerspirit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 pm

So my husband and I hiked our first 14er (Quandary) last Friday!! Woohoo!! :) We're definitely not in the fittest of shape, but we do go on somewhat frequent hikes close to the Denver area where we live. I had a question that I couldn't find any other information on in my searches - during the course of the hike, I had to stop EIGHT, yes EIGHT times to urinate (it took us about 6.5 hours round trip.) I was trying to drink a lot of water to avoid dehydration (I ended up drinking about 2.5 liters total during the hike), but it started getting annoying that I had to stop to pee again almost right after going. Plus I was nervous that the water was just leaking right out of me and might make me dehydrated. Is this an effect of AMS?? I also had a very mild headache near/on the summit, but it got much, much worse during descent, until my head was literally throbbing on the ride back to Denver and throughout the night. I was also nauseated for about 30 minutes *after* reaching the car/driving home but never vomited. Not sure if I just over-exerted myself or had some AMS going on, although symptoms presented more so on/after descent. We'd like to try some more 14ers next summer, but I'm nervous about feeling this way again...

Thanks for reading!
Summer

Re: 14er newbie - frequent urination while hiking, AMS??

Postby WarDamnPanic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Drink alot = pee alot

Clear and copious urine is a good sign for hydration.

Postby djkest » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Summer, all those symptoms I've heard of as being related to altitude. Question- how much were you eating during the hike? My friend had similar I symptoms when she did her first 14er but claimed that gatorade made her feel better very quickly. Perhaps it could be an electrolyte issue?

You might also try some ibuprofen when you are nearing the summit on the way up. It can help alleviate symptoms of AMS (although it does not prevent AMS in any way).

I wouldn't be surprised if you symptoms are less pronounced the next time you try a 14er.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby CO Native » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Lots of peeing means getting lots of lactic acid out of your system which prevents altitude sickness.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Jesse M » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Not sure if you had AMS, but if I don't pee often I start to worry. I can't remember where I read it but I always have remembered this quote, "never miss an opportunity to go pee.". I think it is in the Roach guide. Also, recently someone posted about how humans pee more when we get cold, it was very interesting.

Postby summerspirit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Wow! Thanks so much for all the quick responses! I just added an 'avatar' and came back to 4 replies LOL. No UTI, but I do have a tiny bladder to begin with, I just didn't think it'd be THAT bad. I was thinking possibly I wasn't eating enough? I had handfuls of trail mix, a Cliff bar and a peanut butter/jelly sandwich, maybe I should have eaten more. I also forgot my ibuprofen (dumb!) as I'm prone to getting headaches regardless of what I'm doing. I was also wondering if Gatorade would have helped, do many of you bring Gatorade along with water? (Sorry if these are very basic questions...)

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:45 pm

I pee all the time on 14'ers because I'm drinking lots of water. If your pee is crystal clear, thats a good sign.

As far as your headache goes, I've been there. I moved here from Chicago 9 months ago and after 9 14ers...I feel your pain. After I summited Evans, I had a headache so bad that I was throwing up. It didn't help that I was getting hailed on at the same time for an extra kick in the teeth. What I've found works is to take a couple gatorades with you and pound those along with water. I did that for the last 2 14'ers and I noticed a BIG difference.

And grats on your 1st 14er

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 pm

I love bringing a gatorade on the mountain. it does add weight, but usually it's not a big deal. you can also buy gatorade powder to throw in your nalgene when needed

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=gatorade+powder

sorry for the tacky Wal Mart link. it's the first one that popped up. but you can buy a container and throw some in a baggy to save weight

Postby summerspirit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Somewhat of a prick wrote:I pee all the time on 14'ers because I'm drinking lots of water. If your pee is crystal clear, thats a good sign.

As far as your headache goes, I've been there. I moved here from Chicago 9 months ago and after 9 14ers...I feel your pain. After I summited Evans, I had a headache so bad that I was throwing up. It didn't help that I was getting hailed on at the same time for an extra kick in the teeth. What I've found works is to take a couple gatorades with you and pound those along with water. I did that for the last 2 14'ers and I noticed a BIG difference.

And grats on your 1st 14er

We moved here from Chicago too (Western Suburbs) a little over 5 years ago! :)

I feel a lot better after reading these responses, thank you everyone! It was very clear, and not discolored at all so maybe it was just all the drinking = all the peeing as you've said :) Maybe next time we'll bring some Gatorade as well, hopefully that helps. We also plan to work on our fitness level for next season as well, which will no doubt help as well.

Postby summerspirit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:53 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:I love bringing a gatorade on the mountain. it does add weight, but usually it's not a big deal. you can also buy gatorade powder to throw in your nalgene when needed

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=gatorade+powder

sorry for the tacky Wal Mart link. it's the first one that popped up. but you can buy a container and throw some in a baggy to save weight

Awesome idea, thank you!!

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Did you consume anything with salt or other electrolytes? If you are low on that, then copious amounts of straight water would exacerbate the situation, especially while your body is undergoing continued physical exertion. Even more so if you are participating in a activity that your body is not used to, and in an environment that your body is not accustomed to, ----> 14,000 ft.

If the physical conditions you felt after you got home went away after a day or two then I wouldn't be too worried about next years 14er hikes. I recall feeling like total udder crap after my first few crossfit workouts a couple years ago. Now that I am used to it, occasionally I may still feel nauseous after a really good hard workout, but it goes away within 10-20 minutes. My body just got used to it. The sore muscles? That may take a day or so. :wink:

BTW, My medical credentials are ZERO so keep that in mind in regards to my statements. Remember, you know your body better than anyone else in the world. Just don't let a few sore muscles stop you from pushing harder.

----Congrats on your 1st summit, and welcome to your new addiction!

edit: Wow! 11 responses between when I clicked "reply" and when I clicked "submit". Tonight is busy here on 14ers! If my response seems out of place, then that may be way. Or I am clueless. You decide. :lol:
Last edited by MUni Rider on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Next