Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er newbie - frequent urination while hiking, AMS??

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: 14er newbie - frequent urination while hiking, AMS??

Postby HannahBearCO » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:23 am

summerspirit wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:I am curious if the original poster experienced a relief in the constant urination once the headache and nausea started. If so, a strong pointer towards your statement (with a sample size of one, unfortunately).

Wow I didn't realize the thread was still going strong haha. To answer your question MountainMedic, I started peeing much more frequently as I descended and it actually continued through the end of the day (once at home I was still peeing quite a lot.) It really didn't go back to 'normal' until overnight/the next day. My headache lasted all night and into the next day/night, but a little bit less intense by the following night. My nausea was very brief, only lasting for about 20-30 minutes starting when we got back to the car and ending after we got on I70. Lying back in my seat made it worse, but sitting up straight I was ok... for whatever reason.

The June, 2013 issue of 5280 has a great article on Altitude sickness prevention.

http://www.5280.com/magazine/2013/06/higher-ground?page=0%2C10

If you go to King Sooper, Wal-Mart, Rite-Aid, Wal-green's or CVS, pick up a bottle of Ginkgo Biloba. Begin taking it three days before your hike, one pill (500mg) twice a day (once in the morning, once in the evening), and take it the day of your hike as well. Hydrate daily. Take 600mg of ibuprofen 3 times daily and on the day of your hike as well.

I purchased mine for $6 a bottle at Kroger. comes in a lime green bottle and box marked "Kroger' (can't find an image online that resembles mine, but you get the point).

I climbed Mt. Bierstadt Saturday, and I had almost no altitude sickness. I did have a tiny tiny tiny smidge of a headache, but I believe mine was more from caffeine deprivation and not altitude sickness. If you drink caffeine (soda, tea, coffee), the article in the physical magazine says to get your normal dose in before your hike to help avoid the headaches. After we got done on Bierstadt, we stopped at a local gas station and grabbed a bottle of Dr. Pepper and a snickers bar and my tiny headache immediately subsided and I felt great health wise, physically I was just tired from the hike.

I was amazed at the ginkgo biloba and how well it worked because I am very prone to Altitude Sickness and I didn't have an issue all day long or even when I got home after the hike. I did fall asleep at about 5 pm and slept a solid 13 hours though. :mrgreen:

Also since you're a girl like me, and you're urinating frequently, you might find this very useful out on the trail!

http://www.go-girl.com/

Previous