Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hiking Elbert Next Weekend

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Hiking Elbert Next Weekend

Postby mike_kadow » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:29 pm

Dave B wrote:
B[3] wrote:Didn't see this mentioned yet: consider how you will keep your water insulated the night you camp between 10,000-11,000 feet. When I tent camped at a similar elevation in early November this year, I left my water in the car and didn't think to insulate it. Well, it froze overnight, and I couldn't get any of my water bottles open come morning. I resorted to running the car for ~10 minutes in order to be able to open one of the water bottles and break through the ice for a drink. When I started hiking, the bottle refroze. It was hard to stay hydrated that day.

Bury your water bottles in the snow, upside down as close to the ground as possible. It will keep them from freezing.

+1.

Water freezes from top to bottom and snow is an excellent insulator.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:32 pm

I have taken a cooler to insulate my water overnight. A bodywarmer can provide some heat.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby denvermikey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:09 pm

One more thing. With it being just about the shortest daylight time of year, bring headlamps and/or flashlights.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby nboyer941 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:34 am

We're established at backpacking, so I feel like we have all of the typical basics covered. I'm more concerned about the winter/mountain aspects of things.

Postby Bean » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 am

nboyer941 wrote:We're established at backpacking, so I feel like we have all of the typical basics covered. I'm more concerned about the winter/mountain aspects of things.

It will be cold. It will be darker than normal. There will be snow on the ground, and maybe in the air. It will probably be windy.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby globreal » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:39 am

nboyer941 wrote:http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Twin+Lakes+CO+USCO0385:1:US

Getting your forecast for Twin Lakes won't be accurate for where you are going....a mountain summit. Try here:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1#

You can see you can easily get subzero temps...especially with wind chill. But being from MN, you know about cold!

nboyer941 wrote:I'm attempting my first 14er next weekend. Is there anything we should watch out for? Any precautions?

With the forecast showing snow falling all week, have you taken any avalanche classes?
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby jswiftcervelo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:11 pm

As far as avy classes the easiest one is to just stay on a ridge or other windswept area where there is no snow. A dense forest also works. If you aren't in snow nothing will slide :)

I'd just stay away from all major snow - eliminate the avy idea altogether.
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby nboyer941 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 am

No avalanche class.
My partner advised that we will be on the trail most of the time and won't be in any danger.

](*,)

Postby nboyer941 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:36 pm

What's the cell phone coverage like? Is a spot necessary?

Postby jswiftcervelo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Please don't misinterpret my avy comment - All I meant was no snow = no avy... common sense * NOTE IF THERE IS AVY DANGER ABOVE YOU IT CAN COME DOWN ON YOU EVEN IN A THICK FOREST. But you can tell if that's an issue - no snow above treeline = no avys above. Don't take anything for granted - just because its on a trail doesn't mean its perfectly safe. Evaluate and use good judgement. Go for the ridge top if you have to or stay on the trail if it works out. Remember to use your OWN good judgement as well as your partner's.

And, there's a cell reception service section on this site. Don't rely on it though... be self sufficient and know what to do.
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby globreal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 pm

nboyer941 wrote:No avalanche class.
My partner advised that we will be on the trail most of the time and won't be in any danger.

](*,)

No avy class?

Hiking on a trail = no danger? So then you must be safer on a road, right?

https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_co.php?accident=20070303
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

PreviousNext