Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New to the forum and 14ers!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

New to the forum and 14ers!

Postby Breebee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:20 am

Hello to all out there in cyber world! I just registered for this site, but have been a long time follower of reports and everything that goes on here! LOVE this website! So, my husband and I climbed our first 14er (Quandary) last summer. It was by far the most tiring thing I have EVER done, mentally and physically. Yet it was the most AMAZING thing I've ever done too, and need more!! :-D
This year I have set my sights on a spring climb (March) of Sherman, a summer climb of La Plata, and hopefully an early fall hike of Blanca. Just wanted to introduce myself, and to get some input/tips on those mountains, esp. Blanca as it seems to be a tougher one than the others!
Breebee

The mountains are calling and I must go.

Faith isn't the ability to believe long and far into the misty future.
It's simply taking God at His Word and taking the next step.

Re: New to the forum and 14ers!

Postby Scott P » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 am

Welcome to 14ers!
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Breebee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:46 am

Thank you so much!
Breebee

Postby GeezerClimber » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Blanca is a great mountain--one of my favorites. Backpack to the Como lake area and climb. If you are lucky, you'll have a perfect September day with views that extend forever. If you have leftover energy, take in Ellingwood. It's a bit tedious but the view of Blanca alone is worth the price of admission.

Dave

Postby kushrocks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Its always nice to see new friendly people introudce themselves. Welcome to the addiction that is 14ers.com. =D>
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:10 pm

The fourteeners community loves new climbers. Everyone of us had a first mountain to climb. It is nice that you want to do more!
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Welcome to 14ers! Glad to hear you had such a positive first experience. :) Quandary is fun!

I haven't done Blanca yet, but I've done Ellingwood (right next to it) and I think you will really enjoy that area, around Lake Como. It's so beautiful. I love the Sangre de Cristos.

Sherman and La Plata are very nice (La Plata and Harvard are my favorite Sawatch Range 14ers), but I imagine you'll be doing more than 3 this year if you get the bug! :wink:

You will find that many people on 14ers.com will be happy to help you at any stage of your climbing career with any questions you might have. Again, welcome! :-D
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby Breebee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Geezerclimber- thats the plan, to camp out at the lake, it will be my first backpacking experience, so giving myself until Sept. to get the gear needed. Isnt Ellingwood quite a bit tougher? I was reading up on Blanca here a few weeks ago and I'm super excited but a bit intimidated by that last pitch.

Kushrocks-Thanks! It's great to be here, and addicted I am!!

Silverlynx- Thanks! How was Ellingwood? Yeah we wanted to try La Plata last summer but it just didnt happen with weather and such. But it looks beautiful and I cant wait to climb it!
Breebee

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:42 pm

Welcome to the jungle.

In summer conditions, there's a trail almost all the way to the summit of Blanca. The last bit along the ridge requires only well-cairned talus hopping. You'll do great, especially with La Plata under your belt. The road-hike to Lake Como is a pain, though. Start early in the morning or late in the afternoon to mitigate the heat. Good luck!
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby JTOlson26 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Welcome!

LaPlata was one of my favorites and I took a couple of my friends who had never hiked in Colorado before and they loved it as well. If I may suggest, consider the approach from the south (SW Ridge route). It is beautiful and a bit less crowded.

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Breebee wrote:Silverlynx- Thanks! How was Ellingwood? Yeah we wanted to try La Plata last summer but it just didnt happen with weather and such. But it looks beautiful and I cant wait to climb it!

I climbed Ellingwood in late October with four other people. Despite being late in the season, the hike of the Lake Como road was very hot (as SurfNTurf mentioned). I remember sweating profusely, and I wished I had worn shorts. The Como Group appears to rise up out of the middle of a desert. The Como road is not really drivable unless you have a highly modified vehicle with 4WD, high clearance and a short wheelbase. You might see Jeeps taking people 4-wheeling on it, but that's pretty much it. Walking the road adds about 8 miles to your hike round trip, so I would advise doing the approach one day, then camping overnight at the lake, and then doing the summit and return the following day. I did not do the standard route on Ellingwood Point - we took the SW ridge, which was the hardest thing I'd ever done on a 14er - lots of scrambling over a fair amount of exposure. The standard route on Ellingwood (South Face) is nowhere near as difficult and I believe it's rated as Class 2 or 2+. There are some loose rocks all over the upper parts of Ellingwood and Blanca but the route is obvious and easy to follow.

When you get to the top of Ellingwood, you have impressive views of Blanca, Little Bear, Lindsey and the San Luis Valley. You should be able to see the Crestone Group in the distance as well.
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby Breebee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Surfnturf--Thanks! Yeah that area can get hot during the day for sure. My mom is from Alamosa so we are familiar with that heat and wind that can kickup.

JTOlson26-is that the TH that is near Winfield ghost town?

Silverlynx-Yeah I figured early evening so we could get to the lake and set up and to bed at a decent hour. Ok I will have to check out Ellingwood, I'm intrigued now! Thanks!!
Breebee

Next