First 14er

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davemckenzie
Trip Reports (0)

First 14er

Post by davemckenzie »

New resolution to lose a bunch of weight this summer. I suppose climbing will aid in my efforts. Gonna to make a go at Bierstadt this Saturday, which will be the first 14er I've ever attempted. If you see a fat guy in tears, stop and say hi and maybe say something encouraging. I'll need it...
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First 14er

Post by Gareth »

Slow, steady pace. I bet that you can make it! :-D
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

From someone else who is old, fat and slow...Good luck!!!
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

YOU CAN DO IT! I lost 40 pounds my first summer here just climbing 14ers. The more you drop the faster you'll move and the better you'll feel.
Mike Cormier
14ers: 45  9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mike Cormier »

Baby steps, both literally and figuratively, will get you there.
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

Dave,
You can do it bro, like Gareth said, slow and steady! When I did Sherman I ran into someone in your situation at the switchbacks coming out of Iowa gulch. He was stalled out and looking super frustrated. All it took was a couple encouraging words from my partner and I and the group right behind us and he pressed on. We topped out and spent about 45 minutes on the top and on our way back down he was on the final bit to the summit. I will never forget the look of accomplishment and joy on his face, and possibly A LOT of relief! You can do it dude, Stick with it and dont give up!
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

Good luck, go slow, and have fun.

Let us know how it went!
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

I think I’m actually going to hit up Bierstadt this Saturday too, to help get me prepared for the long summer season…I will definitely be on the lookout for you! I’m sure you will do great and be completely hooked after this weekend.

Happy trails!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Gareth wrote:Slow, steady pace. I bet that you can make it! :-D
Couldn't agree more!

I always tell first-timers to almost try and go as slow as you can, but DON'T STOP! Stopping and starting a lot is harder on your body and prevents you from finding a rhythm. Trust me, slow, choppy steps and just keep trucking. Also, try not to stare up at the summit too much!

Good luck!
Go get it
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

BobbyFinn wrote:Good luck, go slow, and have fun.

Let us know how it went!
+1 Especially the "have fun" part. Your first 14er will be some work, but more importantly it should be fun. Bierstadt is a good choice.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Good for you! =D> Along with all the other great advice, let me add “Start Early”. And I mean at daybreak (5:00- 5:30 am). This will allow you to pace yourself and avoid the infamous weather changes whose potential increases as the day progresses. Also, bring plenty of water. You want to stay hydrated. Good luck and have fun!
Century Bound, eventually.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Good luck! :-D Start early. Don't let anyone tell you it's too difficult or that you can't do it; just stick with it and persevere. :wink: Know when to turn back though and have a great time.

Make sure to post an update after you are done.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.