Rental car "unpaved road" exclusions...what to do?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Txhiker42
14ers: 27 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Rental car "unpaved road" exclusions...what to do?

Post by Txhiker42 »

What do most flatlanders do when they rent a car at the Denver airport and want to take it on an "unpaved road" to a trailhead? From what I've read, driving on unpaved roads is excluded in all most (if not all) rental contracts. Should I just go for it and hope for the best? I was planning on buying the LDW from the company but I've read that any violation of the rental agreement voids the LDW. Same thing with the coverage you get with AMEX or another credit card. Has anyone had experience with damage to a rental on a road to a trailhead and could share what happened? Are any companies better than the others in looking the way? I usually go with Enterprise.

Specifically, we are hoping the access the Gray's trailhead in mid-September.
It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun. -Jeff Lowe
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rental car "unpaved road" exclusions...what to do?

Post by sad2 »

Txhiker42 wrote:What do most flatlanders do when they rent a car at the Denver airport and want to take it on an "unpaved road" to a trailhead? From what I've read, driving on unpaved roads is excluded in all most (if not all) rental contracts. Should I just go for it and hope for the best? I was planning on buying the LDW from the company but I've read that any violation of the rental agreement voids the LDW. Same thing with the coverage you get with AMEX or another credit card. Has anyone had experience with damage to a rental on a road to a trailhead and could share what happened? Are any companies better than the others in looking the way? I usually go with Enterprise.

Specifically, we are hoping the access the Gray's trailhead in mid-September.
When I lived in NC and visited CO, I rented a Grand Cherokee at DIA and took it up the Grays/Torreys TH. Not a problem. You should be fine. Now, I would not recommend taking it to some of the other THs, like Lake Como or even up Castle/Conundrum, but for G/T, you should be fine.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Just get an SUV with halfway decent clearance and you should be just fine. There have been Civics, Prius's (Prii?), and all sorts of sedans at the TH before.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voodoo302 »

My parents rented a mid-size sedan last year and we took it up the G/T road. They didn't have any issues with the rental company buuuut then again they didn't damage the car (other than some scrapes underneath that I assume went unnoticed). "Caveat auriga" I guess. An SUV is probably a safer bet.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

About all a rental agency can do if you go on a dirt road is deny an LDW claim. So don't buy it, it's worthless for what you want to do anyway!

Before I moved here I rented SUVs and drove them up 4x4 roads all the time. Engineer Pass, upper South Colony (the part that's now closed), the road up to Antero. I took a Sebring convertible most of the way to American Basin. I hit a deer once, buffed it out, they never caught it.

Do you want to live your life the way Hertz tells you to, or the way YOU want to?
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

I've rented SUVs from Hertz and never had a problem with the company. Of course I treat it like my own vehicle and don't attempt anything crazy.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Just keep the shiny side up and they'll never know.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Train harder? Many people start Grays and Torreys from I-70, choosing to hike the road instead of driving it. Doing so adds 6 miles roundtrip.

Another option is hitchhiking. Hikers are generally generous and helpful folk, and most would be willing to give you a ride up and down.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Drive it like you stole it.

Then return it.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

get that insurance that the rental companies claim all you have to do is return the license plate and it's covered. Then drive it up Lake Como road and let us all know if they actually honor that claim.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

I suggest a Fiat 500.
please rotate your device
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Last fall we were behind Surf 'N Turf's friend in an audi on the way into Sneffles (on the 2wd section before it gets rougher). They managed to run over a lone fist-sized rock which kicked up, punctured their oil pan and they had to get an off-road tow plus be towed all the way back to Denver to the nearest dealership. It's a pretty freak accident but weird s**t can happen.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack