Wisconsin Hikers coming to CO

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Wisconsin Hikers coming to CO

Post by Steve Climber »

Dave B wrote:
HikeWI wrote:I was reading the pocket guide by the CMCF and it states its difficult if you're not a rock climber.
That statement is ridiculous. From what I remember there is one move on the entire traverse that could qualify as anything more than easy. The exit ledges are exposed but it's really nothing more than class 2/2+.

In comparison I thought the Kehole route on Longs could be a bit spooky in places simply because of how polished the rock is.
If you follow the ridge proper and go up/over every gendarme, yes, it could be difficult without being a climber...if you bypass them per the "normal" Sawtooth route it never gets worse than anything you've done on Longs.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

I think it's still named Rib Mountain, but the ski resort on it changed its name to Granite Peak.
Last edited by hotrod on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
scholbiwan
14ers: 58 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scholbiwan »

Longs is more exposed, but the Sawtooth is looser. The most exposed parts of the traverse are loose like the trough portion of the Keyhole route on Longs.

Having said that, I think it shouldn't be a problem. Bring a helmet and be careful with your footwork.
MechE
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MechE »

It is still Rib Mountain. Hotrod is correct that the ski area name was changed to Granite Peak.
MechE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MechE »

semitrueskerm wrote:
spiderman wrote:If you can do Rib Mountain, you should be fine.
Didn't they change the name?

Personally, I enjoy the climb of Grandad's Bluff in La Crosse....
Have to like this!
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Of the peaks you've listed I think the Sawtooth is the only section where a helmet is a good idea. It is not necessary on the standard routes of Grays/Torreys, Elbert & Massive.

Check the skies before leaving the Bierstadt summit for the Sawtooth. You don't want to be out there in a thunderstorm. Also, the hike across the Sawtooth to the Mt. Evans summit is longer than it seems.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

We were at Rib Mountain a couple days ago on our way back from Abercrombie Peak, Washington... don't ask about this non-Euclidian straight line. It still was called Rib Mountain.
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

MechE wrote:It is still Rib Mountain. Hotrod is correct that the ski area name was changed to Granite Peak.

Some of us (me) got our skiing chops on the ice covered, wind blown slopes of Rib Mountain (not to mention "Nordic" Ski Area on Mt. Morris). I still don't get why they had to rename the ski area "Granite Peak". Re-frickin-donk-u-lus.

Speaking of intimidating WI mountains & climbs...isn't there a pretty nasty 150 foot climb in Perrot State Park? The Col de High Cliff in Sherwood via the old entrance road also gave me great pause growing up. As for mountain passes, I-90 west of Tomah heading towards La Crosse along the Wiscontinental Divide still ranks among my favorites...

Yah-dare-hey! How's by you?
Skip Perkins
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Skip Perkins »

Wausau just enjoys renaming stuff. The trails at Nine-mile Swamp became Nine-mile Forest.
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

I skied at Nine Mile Swamp often in the 80s. I thought it lost some character when they renamed it "Forest". Ten years ago I had an argument concerning the name of a county park named "Ledge Park", where I hiked and explored caves. Opponent said it was "Ledge View", and sure enough, when I checked with the supervisor, it had been renamed.

What about Colorado? Are there name changes often?
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
MechE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MechE »

semitrueskerm wrote:
MechE wrote:It is still Rib Mountain. Hotrod is correct that the ski area name was changed to Granite Peak.

Some of us (me) got our skiing chops on the ice covered, wind blown slopes of Rib Mountain (not to mention "Nordic" Ski Area on Mt. Morris). I still don't get why they had to rename the ski area "Granite Peak". Re-frickin-donk-u-lus.

Speaking of intimidating WI mountains & climbs...isn't there a pretty nasty 150 foot climb in Perrot State Park? The Col de High Cliff in Sherwood via the old entrance road also gave me great pause growing up. As for mountain passes, I-90 west of Tomah heading towards La Crosse along the Wiscontinental Divide still ranks among my favorites...

Yah-dare-hey! How's by you?
We are good up here. I actually live close to Perrot State Park so I am familiar with it and its bluffs. Both Bunnel's Bluff and Eagle Bluff over Trempealeau have steep south faces like you describe. Most likely one of those two.

Funny that you mention the pass on I-90 between Tomah and La Crosse. My wife and I have family living in the eastern part of the state so we are constantly travelling that way. It is an impressive view of the Driftless Area when driving west.