Quandary for first 14er

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Quandary for first 14er

Post by jaymz »

What's with all the resurrected old threads lately?
aggiegeog
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aggiegeog »

When we were up there we hiked up to Lower Crystal Lake, but we did not end up having a chance at Quandary.
OmahaAdam
Trip Reports (1)

Post by OmahaAdam »

Peak_One wrote:I see someone recommended two liters of water. I'd take at least three! Drink often, expect to urinate frequently. If you're not doing these things, it just won't be much fun.

Quandary should be fine as a first 14er, but I would follow the recommendations of a preparatory hike the first day. Loveland would be appropriate, but I suggest Upper Crystal Lake following the route at this link. It's quite enjoyable, very scenic and easily accessible from Breckenridge.

http://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/HIK ... 0Trail.htm

ETA: I see someone mentioned Crystal Peak. The Upper Crystal Lake hike puts you about 850 feet below Crystal's summit and gives you the option of ascending via the saddle between Crystal and Peak 10.
You'll want to head up towards the saddle between Crystal and Peak 10 before you go trotting around Upper Crystal Lake. Otherwise it's a steep crapshoot of talus and rock vs grassier area. Probably more fun in the winter but not in summer.

Cool mining artifacts up at Upper Crystal though.