Need a first time shorter summit/hike for girlfriend

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jimmytg
Trip Reports (0)

Need a first time shorter summit/hike for girlfriend

Post by jimmytg »

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are heading to Denver this Summer and she is interested in doing some hiking. I have plans to climb Elbert and Pikes Peak later in the Summer with my brother, and she recently expressed an interest in maybe climbing one in the future. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for a shorter hike near Denver that would put us on a summit, and get her even more excited about climbing a 14er? I have seen posts on Mt Morrison near Denver, but am very open to other suggestions.

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Need a first time shorter summit/hike for girlfriend

Post by Double Oh Seven »

Check out chief mtn. 3 miles rt about 1500 vertical. Trail head is across the street from old echo mtn ski resort. You can be there in 30 min from i-70 evergreen exit. The views rival many14ers.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

If she's game and in-shape, there's no reason to wait. Bierstadt is about as easy as 14ers get. It's done by hundreds of people every summer weekend.

Mt. Sniktau is a 13er off Loveland Pass within an hour of town that requires minimal effort.

If you're set on keeping lower, Bear Peak or Mt. Sanitas in Boulder are fun hikes.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
2giqs
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 2giqs »

i second that Chief Mtn post:

http://www.summitpost.org/chief-mountain/153817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

2giqs wrote:i second that Chief Mtn post:

http://www.summitpost.org/chief-mountain/153817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I third that one. Took my non-hiking GF up that last summer and she really enjoyed it.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Jay521 wrote:I third that one. Took my non-hiking GF up that last summer and she really enjoyed it.
Was your hiking GF jealous ? Sorry, couldn't resist...... :)
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

SurfNTurf wrote:If she's game and in-shape, there's no reason to wait. Bierstadt is about as easy as 14ers get. It's done by hundreds of people every summer weekend.

Mt. Sniktau is a 13er off Loveland Pass within an hour of town that requires minimal effort.

If you're set on keeping lower, Bear Peak or Mt. Sanitas in Boulder are fun hikes.
I agree with everything in this post. Bierstadt is super easy. Just go for it.

If not, you really can't beat Sniktau. You start at tree line, the trail is incredibly east to follow and the views are awesome. If you're feeling really good after getting Sniktau, you can continue on and get "Cupid" and if you're feeling really jazzed, you can even get Grizzly. Grizzly is a bit harder and the mileage/vertical will really pile up if you do all three, but if you just did Sniktau and "Cupid," that's a pretty easy, but wonderful day.
Go get it
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The peaks around Berthoud Pass are good ones for a taste of high altitude. You could head east towards Colorado Mines Peak and Mount Flora or west to Stanley Mountain.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

mtgirl wrote:
Jay521 wrote:I third that one. Took my non-hiking GF up that last summer and she really enjoyed it.
Was your hiking GF jealous ? Sorry, couldn't resist...... :)
Shhhh!!!!! :lol:
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
srspillman
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by srspillman »

You mentioned Mt. Morrison -- I like Mt. Morrison a lot, but it's probably not the greatest introduction. The trail is super steep, especially near the top. I think the average grade is something like 22%. Really fun if you like a bit of a challenge, though, and the views from the summit are awesome.

Lots of people like Bergen Peak for training. It's not too far away, and the trail is 4.7 miles (one-way) with ~2700' of gain, topping out at 9700'. Route info: http://www.summitpost.org/bergen-peak-f ... lvd/400741" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jimmytg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jimmytg »

Thanks a ton for all the responses! I will definitely start looking into the suggestions and hopefully choose one that fits the bill.

Its great to have so many people offer advice. Much appreciated!
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Don't take her to Bierstadt in early June, or the relationship might be over. Ankle-deep mud will do that...
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump