Three 14ers in three days? Fitness and recovery...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Three 14ers in three days? Fitness and recovery...

Post by bking14ers »

Last year after flying into Co. late. My climbing partner and I did La Plata's SW ridge on three hours sleep in the back of a Kia Sorento. Second day we did Princton, then went to a brewry in Buena Vista and decided to hike up to the old cabin to camp, and then climb Missouri, Belford, and Oxford on day three. Day five we did Holy Cross. We're both flat landers, and we had great weather to do it all in. Yep, it can be done if you want it bad enough.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

James Scott wrote: I would do Holy Cross on day one, rather than wait until the last day. It will be unpleasant with spent legs.
+1

Whenever I am looking at climbing several peaks on consecutive days, I start with the toughest climb first. Or the one that I want to do the most.
Especially in this case, when you want Mt of the HC via the Halo Ridge. It's a big day! But a treasure, one of my favorites.

La Plata and Elbert will be much less demanding in comparison.

Enjoy! :-D
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Andymcp1
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andymcp1 »

I think your plan is completely doable and with being in good shape wont be that difficult. Like others have said do Holy Cross on day 1, it will be a much nicer day with fresh legs! It is not near as physically tiring as a lot of people make it sound. We did it in about 7.5 hours last year and it was our 4th day in a row of 14ers.

Just take your time, enjoy the hikes, start early, and know on the numerous day hikes its all mental.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

For me its nots so much uphill lung capacity but down hill leg muscle recovery times.
The first few 3000-5000 feet downhill hikes of a season I get sore quads.

So the advice is to know yourself. And not get too upset if you have pad in some rest days.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Totally doable anyway you attempt it so long as the altitude doesn't bother you too much. I find that eating tons of protein after the hike and drinking lots of beer and smoking a little pot at night helps me recover. Multiple times I've done three peaks 3 days in a row and this approach has yet to fail me.
linuxsurfer
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by linuxsurfer »

I think your plan will work fine, you sound like you are in good shape. I've done 3 peaks in 3 days before too, but I do agree that Holy Cross can be tough...if I remember correctly it's almost 1000' of elevation gain *on the way back*. I would do it the first day if it were me.
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

bking14ers wrote:Last year after flying into Co. late. My climbing partner and I did La Plata's SW ridge on three hours sleep in the back of a Kia Sorento. Second day we did Princton, then went to a brewry in Buena Vista and decided to hike up to the old cabin to camp, and then climb Missouri, Belford, and Oxford on day three. Day five we did Holy Cross. We're both flat landers, and we had great weather to do it all in. Yep, it can be done if you want it bad enough.
Which Brewery in Buena Vista? That's the key.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Another vote for HC first via Halo to start, and via HM-pass+NotchMtn+Notch to get to the start of Halo. This is more direct and avoids the endless switchbacks of the Notch Shelter route. Take LOTS of WATER with (min 3L, better 4L). Bring collapsible trekking poles (BD's FL Z-poles are my pick) and a water filter (e.g. Sawyer mini-squeeze). The "dreaded" hike from E. Cross Creek back to HM Pass is just 1,000' of class 1 trail. Feeling strong, go for La Plata next, else use Elbert's C1 routes as a "rest" day.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
SeattleHc100er
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeattleHc100er »

Hi, everyone!

I just wanted to say a very delayed thanks to all those who took the time to reply to my original post awhile back. Hiking and climbing communities/forums are usually always wonderful go-to place for information, and all the opinions shared are much appreciated by me. I'm definitely going to take the advice of most of you and do Halo Ridge first, especially since it was the climb I was most excited about doing anyway. Then I plan to hike the standard route up Elbert as a "rest-day," before doing the more northern class 2 ridge of La Plata as the closer. I'm debating trying Ellingwood if I have the strength and energy after two straight days of climbing. However, I get the impression that Ellingwood is best done with a partner used to 14er climbs as opposed to going solo.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

You're from the Cascades, you'll be fine.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
SeattleHc100er
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeattleHc100er »

TravelingMatt wrote:You're from the Cascades, you'll be fine.
Yeah haha,...I'm sure I'll be okay to. I just make conscious efforts to prepare and get advice anyway, it helps one way or another. \:D/