First 14ers Advice

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sieggy80305
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First 14ers Advice

Post by sieggy80305 »

I'm doing it at midnight (or getting up at that any way, probably on the trail at 1am) at recommendation from a friend. Perhaps a little over kill but looking to beat the rush and any storms that may pop up.
sieggy80305
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sieggy80305 »

That's kind of what I figured, too. Either place will be an awesome place to catch a sunrise.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

How do you feel about climbing unfamiliar exposed terrain in the dark?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
sieggy80305
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sieggy80305 »

If we beat the sun to the Keyhole, I'm guessing we'll do breakfast and hang out till it does. Given it's my first time up (on Long's) not too keen on doing the exposed stuff in the dark.
Max Moorman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Max Moorman »

As far as the weather goes, I've been getting excellent, accurate forecasts so far from the following site:
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HikerT
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerT »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did Huron yesterday, started at about 6 AM and was back at the car by 11:45. It was a fun peak, interesting terrain and great views. Today I did Elbert, starting at 5:15 AM and finishing before 11:30. I'm fighting off sleep now, but the early starts were enjoyable, the crowds didn't arrive until I was on my way down. I'm heading home tomorrow, hoping I can find another excuse to get out here again.
Max Moorman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Max Moorman »

HikerT wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I did Huron yesterday, started at about 6 AM and was back at the car by 11:45. It was a fun peak, interesting terrain and great views. Today I did Elbert, starting at 5:15 AM and finishing before 11:30. I'm fighting off sleep now, but the early starts were enjoyable, the crowds didn't arrive until I was on my way down. I'm heading home tomorrow, hoping I can find another excuse to get out here again.
Nice! Glad you had a fun time, and congrats on tackling both in one weekend.