First 14ers!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

First 14ers!

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Hey everyone, I'm knew to the forum and am excited to start my hiking/climbing career. I am from Texas and have been here since 08-14. Starting this year I've been hiking lower elevation places like the flat irons in Boulder, Twin Sisters in RMNP, and just did Flattop Mountain a couple days ago. I feel like I'm ready for my first 14ers and am planning to do Torrey's and Gray's this weekend. I've read all about many of the 14ers and because of their proximity to Fort Collins, and the recent trip reports/conditions I feel like they won't be too difficult. (I'm also incredibly impatient) Just wondering if anyone had any advice specifically with dealing with the snow I'll most likely encounter above tree line. I was postholing all the way down Flattop and the first time I did Twin Sisters. Any way to avoid this except buying snow shoes?
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First 14ers!

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Haha thanks man! Just a bit nervous seeing how much there was at Flattop. About 3 ft in some places! Hoping to start around 5am. I still don't know much about the weather here tbh. Everyone tells me different things, but I figure my mid July, most all the snow should be gone right? I don't mind hiking in snow, but just don't have too much experience lol.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Haha that's what I was hoping to hear. I can't wait to get started already.

-Anatoli Boukreev

myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Where in Texas are you from? I moved here in 08 as well.
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Actually August 2013 sorry I wrote 08-14 don't know what I was thinking lol. I'm from San Antonio, you?

-Anatoli Boukreev

myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I grew up in Dickinson which is between Houston and Galveston then moved to Columbus which is 70 west of Houston. I was there for 12 years then moved here. Best move ever!
AdventureChick303
14ers: 11 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AdventureChick303 »

I'm not sure about conditions on Gray's/Torrey's, and the snow melt changes from one week to the next this time of year anyway, but I figured I'd let you know what I had for snow conditions last weekend - at least give you an idea of what you might find yourself.

I hiked James Peak (a 13'er coming up from the St. Mary's Glacier trailhead) last Sat (5/31), and there is still a TON of snow up there (there are areas of bare ground, but it's 80% covered). It was frozen enough in the morning that Microspikes worked great all the way up the glacier. Around 10:30 it softened up and I turned to snowshoes. The descent (after 11:30 am) was a complete slush-fest! I'm 110 pounds and even with snowshoes I sunk down 5 or 6 inches into the slush - I basically just decided to slide my feet through it, instead of taking actual steps. There were tall guys on the hike who didn't have snowshoes, and they were postholing to mid-thigh.

But .... there is another post in the 14er Information/Conditions section this week on spring 14'ers. They say that Belford has summer conditions (i.e. no snow) right now. Longer trip for you, but you wouldn't have to contend with the snow.

Good luck ... stay dry!
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

myfeetrock wrote:I grew up in Dickinson which is between Houston and Galveston then moved to Columbus which is 70 west of Houston. I was there for 12 years then moved here. Best move ever!
Haha yeah man can't stand that humidity. I'll take a dry 100 over a humid 90 any day of the week. Loving Colorado, see it as my new permanent home now lol.

-Anatoli Boukreev

DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

AdventureChick303 wrote:I'm not sure about conditions on Gray's/Torrey's, and the snow melt changes from one week to the next this time of year anyway, but I figured I'd let you know what I had for snow conditions last weekend - at least give you an idea of what you might find yourself.

I hiked James Peak (a 13'er coming up from the St. Mary's Glacier trailhead) last Sat (5/31), and there is still a TON of snow up there (there are areas of bare ground, but it's 80% covered). It was frozen enough in the morning that Microspikes worked great all the way up the glacier. Around 10:30 it softened up and I turned to snowshoes. The descent (after 11:30 am) was a complete slush-fest! I'm 110 pounds and even with snowshoes I sunk down 5 or 6 inches into the slush - I basically just decided to slide my feet through it, instead of taking actual steps. There were tall guys on the hike who didn't have snowshoes, and they were postholing to mid-thigh.

But .... there is another post in the 14er Information/Conditions section this week on spring 14'ers. They say that Belford has summer conditions (i.e. no snow) right now. Longer trip for you, but you wouldn't have to contend with the snow.

Good luck ... stay dry!
Thank you!! Hoping 5am is early enough to have the snow packed in still. Checked the forecast and it is supposed to freeze Friday night(28 degrees or so). Hoping we make it alright with no snowshoes. Going to buy some next Friday. So excited! Yeah trying to knock out as many 14ers close to home to start as the gf is open to driving far but doesn't particularly LIKE driving more than a couple hours lol.

-Anatoli Boukreev

DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Yep, if you were to hike Sunday you'll probably see me up there. If that single condition report on Belford/Oxford is incorrect and I cannot avoid the snow there will be severe retribution. Haha, kidding of course, however I will be disappointed. I'm just done with snow this year...[/quote]

Seriously! My brother is a snowboarder so I can't wait for the snow to melt and here he is bummed out about it ha.

-Anatoli Boukreev