Various Questions from Someone Living Sea Level

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kara454
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Various Questions from Someone Living Sea Level

Post by Kara454 »

Michael- I live RIGHT down the road from where you were.. in Santa Fe.

I DO want to move so badly. It is hard to find a job for Instrument or Analytical up in Colorado though.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

When the time is right it will come together.
emcee smith
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (52)

Post by emcee smith »

I live in Houston as well and the main thing that I have learned is that if you are not doing stairs or at a minimum inclined treadmill, you are not really preparing to hike a 14er. I consider myself an average strength hiker and I feel that "good" is about 200 - 300 flights of stairs (stepmill) in 1 hr or the treadmill on 15% at 3mph for 1 hr (both unweighted), and about 150 - 200 flights or 15% & 2.5 mph with about 20 lbs on my back.

Note that you will not walk nearly as fast as that in CO, but that level of effort seems to have me at a good pace on the mountain.

My wife and I did NOT do that for our first 14ers and it was miserable. We had been walking with a pack in June (in Houston) for about 8 - 9 miles but with no significant elevation gain and we understood our mistake after about 1/4 mile on the Grays trail.

Unless you have been skiing or otherwise up high, I'm not sure there is any real way to tell how you will respond to altitude. Most have shared the standard advice; time and water and try to avoid the alchohol.
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

GeezerClimber wrote:
... Quandary is probably the best in the Mosquito range ....
Isn't it in the Tenmile range ?
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

Acetazolamide always makes my trips more enjoyable coming from 1000 ft. but not everyone likes to pop pills. After taking it last year, I went from 1k feet where I live to the top of Democrat in 7 hours with no problems. Also, I can't sleep the first few nights above 8K feet and it really helps with that. Altitude induced sleep apnea is no fun. 125mg tabs are the way to go. Your doc shouldn't have a problem with it if you're not allergic. I don't always take it but I feel 100% better when I do. Most of my trips are 4-5 days with no time to acclimate.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
mtnview
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mtnview »

emcee smith wrote:Most have shared the standard advice; time and water and try to avoid the alchohol.
I would also add to skip the caffeine habit :) I know not such an easy one to give up. Moderation in all things.

Regards
Allan A
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kara454
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kara454 »

Thanks for further info! I am not much of a drinker... just went to Vegas last week, and did not even drink if that tells you anything.

I drink some soda every now and then- but not near as much as I used to.

Going to start doing a bit more stairs now though just to prepare. Did some hiking at Red Rock in Vegas- though there was not near the elevation or gain- I felt great during the hike and did not struggle even with the temps getting up to 100- I actually could breathe like a normal person without all the terrible humidity clogging my lungs and nasal cavity up. I felt it was a good small "testing of the water" just to see, plus it was beautiful scenery!!!! =) The camelback really helped out too!!!
Attachments
10462648_10101427255136668_1982110765891559532_n.jpg
10462648_10101427255136668_1982110765891559532_n.jpg (181.38 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
Kara454
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kara454 »

Oh and Chad, thanks for the heads up, I may go to the doctor and get that for back up- will see how I am feeling when closer to the time I leave!
dchappy7
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by dchappy7 »

I agree Quandary is great if you want to hang out in a great ski town in Breckenridge.
I just climbed it in July my first 14er. It was not easy as I did not really train for it
but I am in decent shape. Lots of dogs up on the mountain my labrador would have loved
it, next time I am bringing him!
Phil 4:13 " I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength"
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

Kara454 wrote:Any of you out there that went from sea level to a 14er? What was your experience like?
I've done it a bunch of times. I guess I've been "altitude lucky" most of the time. Typically, I'd travel, try to go hike to ~7K at a slow pace, then go down and sleep at ~5K. Next day, hike mellow at ~9K, sleep at 7K. If the 14er was casual technically and in length of climb, I could do it on my 3rd day. If it was big or multi-day / multi summit, etc, I'd need another day of acclimitization. Doing all the standard stuff right (hydration, diet, etc.) is assumed. Learn your high altitude pace from the mellow side.

OK, I admit I've done hard 14ers on day 2, but reciting "Serves you right to suffer" was obligatory.
Kara454 wrote:Did some hiking at Red Rock in Vegas- though there was not near the elevation or gain- (snip) plus it was beautiful scenery!!!! =)
Awesome place. Some of the day hikes like Bridge Mountain are fairly big.
When life gets you down, climb!
Kara454
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kara454 »

Hey everyone, we are still thinking about going up Elbert, but we may decide another peak once I get there. I will be there a good few days after I get there before we will try the 14er. My friend has been living in Ft. Collins for a few months so she should be totally fine- and hopefully I will be too! I may try to do a shorter hike after being there a day or two and then we tackle the 14er after Labor Day.

I am going to REI this weekend (not many other options here in Texas to get any gear) so hoping to be all ready to go!! The days are getting closer.
nomad
Trip Reports (1)

Post by nomad »

Quandary or Elbert will be a great choice. Have fun and pay attention to the weather. :-)
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.