Various Questions from Someone Living Sea Level

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kara454
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Various Questions from Someone Living Sea Level

Post by Kara454 »

I have been searching around here throughout today before posting, but figured it would be easier to ask after all the searching.

A bit about me and then my questions:

I am living on sea level (not by choice), and am in the beginning phases of planning a trip up to Colorado at the end of August and the first part of September. I was looking at trying some hiking out during the week of Labor Day (September 2-4 were my best options) and of course, being adventurous, I want to go ahead and look into if a 14er would be a goal of mine for this trip!

I am in pretty good shape, upper 20s, and a bit more on the active side typically (except in Texas in the summer heat...yuck.) I am not used to higher altitudes, I have been to Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana in December 2010 and did not seem to have too big of a problem (I at least did get the chance to walk around the base of Devil's Tower) but we did not do as much super active things. I like cooler weather as I get hot easily, so I am not as worried about the temps possibly dropping on me. =)

I would like to find a good 14er to start with, and I would like to bring a dog or two with me (I know there is a pet part of the forum), but my dogs are competitive sports dogs that are very well trained and very used to "hiking" (if you can call it that in Texas) with me- so I am not as worried about them (will make sure they are doing ok in altitude though) physically. But I figured a first 14er for me will probably be a good one for them as well.

I really am in love with the outdoors and have an obsession with Colorado's beauty... so one with a lot of striking views would be an option that is pretty high on my list as well as being beginner friendly.

I may take in consideration about the length of time it takes to complete the hike as well. I may have one other person going with me- but I am not as worried about making a trek alone either.

Any of you out there that went from sea level to a 14er? What was your experience like?

If you think that a 14er may be too much, please let me know if there are some possibly better options for me!

Thanks a lot guys and gals!
Kara454
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Various Questions from Someone Living Sea Level

Post by Kara454 »

oh, and my personal vehicle is a front wheel drive RAV4. Depending on if I go with anyone, I MAY have use of a 4x4 truck- but I am not counting on that as a set plan. So that may be a factor as well with the trailhead location for whichever vehicle I am in.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

You'd probably benefit from reading the FAQ: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mt Sherman from Leavick (east side) might be a good choice for your first.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Kara454
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kara454 »

I read quite a bit on it, but having a difficult time with my computer freezing up going to several different links!

I will look up Mt Sherman! That is one I did not look into yet! =) Thanks a bunch!
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Quandary is also a good choice for a first 14er (my first, actually), as are the nearby peaks (Lincoln, Cameron, Democrat, Bross). And Breck is a good place to base yourself, a fun town to hang out.
IG: jc_solitude
emiller6
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emiller6 »

Sherman was my first 14er as well. The trailhead is high, and the trail itself is the shortest (I believe) to the summit. I also took my dog up, but his pads were a bit torn after the hike... He's a 100 lb golden doodle if that helps at all.
vusteph
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by vusteph »

My dog did her first 14er (Quandary)a few days after moving up here with me fron Texas. I was a little worried that the altitude might affect her but she blazed up and down and asked for another 14er. She was also very active with me at sea level, we'd run 2-6 miles almost every day together.
coneydogron
14ers: 52 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by coneydogron »

Kara454 wrote:I really am in love with the outdoors and have an obsession with Colorado's beauty... so one with a lot of striking views would be an option that is pretty high on my list as well as being beginner friendly.
Take a look into Huron Peak and/or Handies Peak, both are great for beginners and offer top notch scenery.
"A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't" - Tom Waits
dsr1986
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dsr1986 »

If you're taking 2 dogs, I'd also vote Quandry over Sherman.
Whats with Today, today?
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

If you’re planning on hiking with your dogs, I’d recommend keeping them on a leash if you weren’t planning on it. Not everyone love dogs. Some people are even deathly afraid of dogs. Most easier 14ers are so crowded, it’s just a courtesy to other hikers on the trail. If you like to have your dogs off leash, consider a less traveled 13er. I hike with my dog off leash on less visited trails all the time, and we both have a much better time for the lack of crowd.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Kara454
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kara454 »

Thanks a bunch guys! I will be looking into the suggestions!!! I like having ample time to plan things out so I am glad I started a bit early =)

I rarely ever do anything with my dogs on leash. So if you know of anything that might be good that is a bit less crowded- I am all ears. I do know a friend who hiked Mt Elbert with her dog and he drug a shorter leash without a handle around (I can see it in the pictures) and she did not mention anything about bad crowds (she went in September too)- so are the crowds still bad middle of the week in early September?

I read there may still be thunderstorms at this time of year, so I guess I will have to plan on leaving early to trailhead. Is 6am a pretty good "average" time to head out?
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

First of all, don't worry about the altitude but know the signs of sickness in case you are one of the rare people who are severely affected. I got my brother, who lives in CT, up Elbert when he was 64 and Harvard when he was 67. The key to alpine hiking is pace. I kept my brother in front of me so he wouldn't be tempted to try to keep up and I monitored his breathing. When it seemed like he was getting really winded, I'd make him stop. If you try too hard, you'll feel like crap on the summit and ruin the experience. I learned this the hard way when I was a young man. Go slow, enjoy the views and the summit will arrive soon enough. The dogs will be fine but bear in mind most 14ers are in wilderness areas and they have regulations regarding dogs that vary somewhat in different areas. Voice control at a minimum. Some require leashes at all times. You will also need to carry water for both of them which is an extra burden. I have climbed many 14ers with dogs and found that an extra liter is about right, at least for a Labrador.

As for which to start with, Quandary is probably the best in the Mosquito range though it will be very, very crowded Labor Day weekend and the views are maybe average. I would recommend against Democrat, Lincoln or Bross because of crowds and they are among the least pleasant 14ers. The routes are also mostly on broken rock and that could be a real problem for the dogs' feet. If you venture into the Sawatch range, Huron is probably the easiest and also sports great views and almost no signs of civilization from the top. Your RAV can make it easily to the upper TH though it won't be anything like you encounter in TX. Although it is the highest, Elbert is also one of the easiest. It will be more crowded and take longer but is fine for beginners and dogs.

Dave

PS: if you go Tuesday or later after Labor Day weekend, the crowds will be small.