First time 14er, hiking east ridge of quandary peak

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ruthy2014
Trip Reports (0)

First time 14er, hiking east ridge of quandary peak

Post by Ruthy2014 »

My fiancé and I are planning to hike our first 14er on July 7. Any tips or suggestions for a successful trip?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: First time 14er, hiking east ridge of quandary peak

Post by Jim Davies »

Browse through the FAQs: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Great choice for a first 14er. It's a great hike with some great views. First off, keep a close eye on the weather forecasts as the time gets closer. The first 14er is a crap shoot as far as you not knowing what kind of pace you will take on the hike, so I would definitely recommend an alpine start....you want to be able to take plenty of breaks (if needed) and be able to make the summit, enjoy some time at the summit taking in the views and pictures, and then be able to make the descent before the afternoon storms start firing up. If you are from the flatlands I would also suggest heading to Breck for a day or two of walking around town to help with the acclimation process. Another must-have is hydration! My wife, kids and I all used 2.5 liter hydration packs (I use a watered-down Gatorade mix but my wife and kids usually just go straight water)and none of us ran out, but a couple of us were getting down to the last few ounces by the time we got back to the car. There is not any source of water once you hit the trail on Quandary, so having enough fluids at the start is essential. I would also recommend taking some kind of snack foods for the hike too....you will need the calories. My personal preference is some kind of jerky, gummi bears, Clif bars and some type of trail mix. Another must is having a couple of light, water resistant outer layers to wear in case of light rains...something that you can take off and put back on easily. Being July, I don't think any heavier layers for warmth are necessary, but water resistant is pretty nice. I always pack an extra pair of socks...just in case I soak a pair.

I know when I did my first 14er (Mt. Elbert) I overpacked and had a pack that weighed close to 20 lbs and I was pretty miserable on the way up...I have scaled back what I consider essentials and this kind of covers what I have at all times....sometimes I will even throw a roll of TP or some biodegradable wet ones in my pack. Good luck and we hope to see a trip report letting us know how it went. Take lots of pics and just enjoy the hike and remember, the mountain will always be there, the summit is optional, getting down safely takes priority. Listen to your body and don't force it...if you feel sick or if the weather conditions start going south on you, head back down. It's always better to not summit than to harm yourself or others trying to make something happen that wasn't meant to be.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
codogg81
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by codogg81 »

Fantastic first 14er! Start early, water, rain gear, sunblock, shades, layers, proper footwear, snacks. Easy peezy. (Not really. No 14er is easy, remember that.)
cory1223oh
14ers: 24 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cory1223oh »

I also always bring a pair of light gloves and something to keep your ears warm. Some days can be warm and they'll stay in your bag, but if it's windy you'll be glad to have them. May not apply to everyone, but make sure to bring foods you'll enjoy eating that will give you energy. I tend to lose my appetite with the combo of altitude and physical exertion. My personal favorite is snicker bars.

Just don't overthink it too much. I you start early and have some determination you'll make it. Quandary is a good place to start.
Imcp
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Imcp »

In addition to the previous posts, beware of false summits!

Quandary seems to have millions and it's pretty demotivating when you think you are about to hit the summit ridge and then more rock pops into view.
Ruthy2014
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ruthy2014 »

Thanks for input everyone! Snacks, gloves and hat (amongst other things) are already in the suitcase. I am usually an overpacker so i will need to remember to take it down a notch for my pack. We are from Texas and are planning to drive up Pikes Peak when we arrive on Saturday then we drive into Breckenridge for the remainder of our stay so hopefully the weather will work out for Monday as that will allow us one more day to adjust to the altitude. We are looking forward to it! I will be sure to post a report! Thanks again everyone!