Weather in mid-September...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Pops921
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Weather in mid-September...

Post by Pops921 »

+1 for mid September Colorado weather.

The warm hat and gloves are a good suggestion - the gloves can be light weight. I always carry rain proof shell pants-which can also work as an insulating layer. I think you should carry a second insulating layer for the upper body which you will primarily use while stopped and enjoying the summit - I prefer a down sweater, but you can also carry a lightly insulated "Soft Shell" which offers wind protection and is water resistant (not waterproof), but is more breathable then Gore-Tex or E-Vent.
Not as young as I once was and not as old as I want to be.
rtittsworth
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rtittsworth »

I'm going on year 5 of our annual 14er Fest. In the past 4 years we have gone as early as the second week of September and as late as the 1st weekend of October. Last year was the first time we didn't have clear, blue skies and perfect weather the full 5 days. Got dumped on while hiking Huron. It's my favorite time to be in Colorado due to the cooler temps and the aspen trees changing.

As for micro spikes, I always pack them but have only had to use them once, last year.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

Agreed, bring along a range of layers and gear, then look at the weather and leave behind what you can.
When life gets you down, climb!