Weather in mid-September...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
igorcarajo
Trip Reports (0)

Weather in mid-September...

Post by igorcarajo »

Hello,

I'm considering making a trip to Colorado (Breckenridge) on 9/15 and hiking Quandary Peak, Mt Democrat, Mt Lincoln, and Mt Cameron. The thing that concerns me is: is mid-September too late in the summer for a beginner to do this? Weather-wise, would it make much difference if I planned this trip for early-September or late August instead? Thanks in advance.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Weather in mid-September...

Post by dr_j »

I've generally found mid-September to be pretty stable weather-wise. The monsoon season winds down, so you may not need to get started quite as early to avoid the thunderstorms. The weather remains warm, although with the risk of the odd snow or chilly day.

Overall, it's an ideal time to hike, at least in my experience.
IG: jc_solitude
bunny256
14ers: 58  3  4 
13ers: 359 8 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bunny256 »

I have had some absolutely perfect weather days in September. There certainly can be snow or cold, but not the typical daily thunderstorms like earlier in the summer. I believe one of the warmest and least windy experiences I have had on a 14er was around September 20th.
LoJ
IG @i_heart_mountains
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Mid to late September is the best time of the year to hike. Far fewer hikers, bugs (nearly) gone, cooler daytime temps, Aspen leafs changing, etc. SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
2giqs
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 2giqs »

I prefer to start my annual Colorado week right after Labor Day. Weekly car rentals seem to be cheaper than in late August. Air fare too for that matter.
Weather-wise, I've been able to get out each day although last year I did downsize the hikes the last two days due to storm threats.
GeezerClimber
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

San Juan Ron wrote:Mid to late September is the best time of the year to hike. Far fewer hikers, bugs (nearly) gone, cooler daytime temps, Aspen leafs changing, etc. SJ Ron :)
+1. Many of my favorite climbs were in mid to late Sept. Bear in mind that cold fronts often come through and dump small amounts of snow up high but these are very often followed by gorgeous, purple sky, cloudless days. Unless you are climbing hard ones, the new snow just makes the experience that much more beautiful IMHO. Also, if you go on a weekday, it is not uncommon to have the mountain to yourself though the odds of that on Quandary are pretty remote.

Dave
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

It may be below freezing 20F during some part of the hike and as high as 80F. Wind gear, hat, gloves, strip down to light shirt etc.

The first snow dustings are as early as late August. Probably nothing too deep you need any special equipment for.

The dawn is late at 7AM. Headlamp is needed if you start early or take too long.

Easier mountains close to Breckenridge also include Sherman, Bierstadt and Elbert. Grays road is nasty for rental cars.
Tatra
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tatra »

Mid September is the best time to do more technical 14ers or 13ers. Much more reliable weather, no storms at noon and can start later. The best time of the year in Colorado!
igorcarajo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by igorcarajo »

Thank you for the replies. A have a few other questions:

-Since it's possible to get some snow, would it be useful to bring micro-spikes?
-Do I still need to start the climb super early so that I can be on my way down by noon, like during the summer, or can I start later in the day?
-How much water should I carry?
-I was thinking of the following for clothing layers: first, a light-weight long-sleeve running shirt; second, a fleece jacket; third, a very light nylon shell that is wind- and water-proof. Is this suitable? One of the replies mentioned temperatures in the 20s, and I'm not sure that my minimalist approach would cut it if it got that cold.
-I have a set of non-collapsible trekking poles. I don't suppose that they would let me travel with those on the plane. Any suggestions about that?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Check the weather forecast for the peak you're climbing. There's a pretty good chance that time of year it'll be sunny all day. Use the 14ers.com weather link: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Starting at zero-dark-thirty isn't really necessary if the chance of precipitation is zero, which it is about half the time in mid-September.

Carry some kind of rain gear, gloves, and a warm hat. The nylon shell might be enough. You might want to add a thermal shirt and pants to your pack also. Again, if the forecast is warm and dry you'll probably be OK minimalist, but check the forecast for incoming storms.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

igorcarajo wrote:Thank you for the replies. A have a few other questions:

-Since it's possible to get some snow, would it be useful to bring micro-spikes?
-Do I still need to start the climb super early so that I can be on my way down by noon, like during the summer, or can I start later in the day?
-How much water should I carry?
-I was thinking of the following for clothing layers: first, a light-weight long-sleeve running shirt; second, a fleece jacket; third, a very light nylon shell that is wind- and water-proof. Is this suitable? One of the replies mentioned temperatures in the 20s, and I'm not sure that my minimalist approach would cut it if it got that cold.
-I have a set of non-collapsible trekking poles. I don't suppose that they would let me travel with those on the plane. Any suggestions about that?
I have gone to Colorado for fall color during the last 10 days of Sept. and weather has been fantastic on a few days but on others there has been rain below about 11k and snow above that but the snow was not heavy and being that it fell on dry ground it was easy to hike on. During 2012 there were a few days after sept 25th that that pattern repeated itself for days (rain down low snow up high) and you could see snow stay and accumulate above 12k. I slept most days inside a tent at about 9k elev. and was hella warm in my 15F down bag even though most days I woke up to a tent covered in frozen dew outside. I remember a NASTY thunderstorm one afternoon rolling through the maroon bells area, luckily I was at camp already but it was a huge and nasty storm even down where I was at 9k I cannot imagine being out in the open higher up during a storm like that. The next day though was amazing.

So to sum it up plan on sleeping inside a tent and bring a 15F bag (well rated) and you should be fine. There was water available everywhere but that varies year to year depending how dry it is. (I filtered my water but had the capacity to carry about 3 litters). Regarding clothing, waterproof shell layer is a MUST (jacket w/ hood and pants) and a puffy jacket with hood. I also took a light wind shirt, light fleece, stretchy hiking pants and long underwear. Waterproof boots are a must and extra socks. I used everything but I was standing before dawn and after sunset waiting for good light every day. (photo trip) My feet got hella cold standing around for hours but were warm while moving.

I believe earlier in the month the weather was more stable but you never know. I basically saw a wide range of weather from snow and temps in the 25F range to sunshine and 70F temps. Sometimes in a matter of hours. Only experienced one storm and it was well forecasted and I could see it coming from very far away. So as always be on the lookout.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

You might get a bigger snowstorm. Might. In 2006 most of the mountainous areas of Colorado got some two feet on September 21-22. More common to get the occasional dusting above treeline, as others have said. BTW a "dusting" around here is anything less than 2-3 inches :)
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake