Winter/Spring mountaineering

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Winter/Spring mountaineering

Post by AlexeyD »

If non-14ers are of interest to you, Audobon in the Indian Peaks is a nice, relatively avalanche-safe winter objective. Also Flattop in RMNP (very nice as a ski mountaineering peak, if you're into that).
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

AlexeyD wrote:If non-14ers are of interest to you, Audobon in the Indian Peaks is a nice, relatively avalanche-safe winter objective. Also Flattop in RMNP (very nice as a ski mountaineering peak, if you're into that).
Now that you mention both of those, it's interesting that both mountains are in my snow climbs book lol. I am interested in only 14ers for now. Then go for the Centennials. Thanks for the suggestions though! I did Flattop this May and it was really nice!
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

It's not uncommon to get reasonably dry conditions in December. A partner and I did the north face of Longs in late December many years ago. We had patchy snow that went from styrofoam to breakable crust on the approach and mostly dry rock on the route. You just have to keep a pulse on your target(s), read condition reports, etc. Do the stuff that is in shape and safe. Getting out into the hills often helps, even if your goals are smaller.
When life gets you down, climb!
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Broken Knee wrote:It's not uncommon to get reasonably dry conditions in December. A partner and I did the north face of Longs in late December many years ago. We had patchy snow that went from styrofoam to breakable crust on the approach and mostly dry rock on the route. You just have to keep a pulse on your target(s), read condition reports, etc. Do the stuff that is in shape and safe. Getting out into the hills often helps, even if your goals are smaller.
Don't get me wrong I love all mountains of different sizes and elevations. If it is not reasonable to drive far for a 14er and or the weather doesn't permit, I'd be more than happy just to get out every weekend no matter where it is. :)
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

I believe people often do Grays and Torreys in winter as well - though you'd definitely have to plan on hiking or skiing the 3 miles each way along the access road. There also may be areas of avy hazard, for example when traversing under Kelso mountain or if doing the traverse from the grays-torreys saddle. Kelso Ridge on Torreys sounds like an interesting winter scramble.
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

AlexeyD wrote:I believe people often do Grays and Torreys in winter as well - though you'd definitely have to plan on hiking or skiing the 3 miles each way along the access road. There also may be areas of avy hazard, for example when traversing under Kelso mountain or if doing the traverse from the grays-torreys saddle. Kelso Ridge on Torreys sounds like an interesting winter scramble.
Already done both! Would love to redo them though as when I went in early June this year it was beautiful. So much snow still! Love to go in winter and check it out.

-Anatoli Boukreev

DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

You always want to check and consider current conditions, but this summitpost page by Scott is very useful in choosing winter 14ers objectives.
http://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14er ... ter/337648
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

DaveSwink wrote:You always want to check and consider current conditions, but this summitpost page by Scott is very useful in choosing winter 14ers objectives.
http://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14er ... ter/337648
Dave... This is literally what I've been looking for for a while now. You are awesome!! I couldn't find any books with info on Colorado 14ers in winter!
You're the best!

-Anatoli Boukreev

Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I couldn't find any books with info on Colorado 14ers in winter!
If interested, Dawson's guides for the 14ers have winter information in them.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

DoctorBreaks wrote:
DaveSwink wrote:Dave... This is literally what I've been looking for for a while now. You are awesome!! I couldn't find any books with info on Colorado 14ers in winter! You're the best!
That would be Scott, just above ^^^ that is awesome.
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

You're both awesome! Thank you Scott! Looks like another book I'll be buying. :)

-Anatoli Boukreev

dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

DoctorBreaks wrote:I couldn't find any books with info on Colorado 14ers in winter!
Lets keep it that way, I don't want the peaks in winter to get as crowded as in summer, peeps can stay in the ski areas during winter. It's much safer there as well. I just hate it when someone tracks up the trail ahead of me, spoils the serenity.