Winter Routes

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dsr1986
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Winter Routes

Post by dsr1986 »

On the route page, the snowflake notation of "recommended as snow only" - is this assuming that you'll be doing a ski descent? Or just generally recommended for winter? If it's the latter, is it because the standard route is more difficult to find/follow with complete snow coverage?

Had a short summer this year, looking to extend my season, just trying to figure out the best way to do that.
Whats with Today, today?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Winter Routes

Post by Scott P »

I don't know what route you are referring to specifically, but I believe they mean that the route is either unpleasant or dangerous once the snow melts. Many of those routes aren't good for winter (unless you hit them in perfect and stable conditions) since they are in couloirs. You would want to climb couloir routes in spring or early summer.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Scree fields are another example - unpleasant in summer, covered by snow in winter.
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Check out Cooper's "Colorado Snow Climbs" http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Snow-Cli ... 0976052598

Should also consider taking a AIARE level avalanche class if you're really thinking about getting out in winter.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

HuskyRunner wrote:<snip>
Should also consider taking a AIARE level avalanche class if you're really thinking about getting out in winter.
This^^.

Please.

At least know *something* about route finding in avalanche terrain if nothing else...
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

To echo what others said, snowflake routes don't necessarily mean winter routes. Many of them would be very dangerous in true winter conditions. You could pick off some of them really early in the snow season probably if the conditions were right, but you would want to be really picky about the route and that days conditions before attempting it.

Right now pretty much all those routes are going to be straight scree or just totally crappy rock. You can climb some couloirs and faces in winter conditions but you want to really know your stuff before you attempt it. Generally ridge routes are your best bet in winter, and a lot of those routes are not represented here. There are a plethora of avy courses here in CO, and my advice would sign up for a level 1 course this winter.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
dsr1986
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dsr1986 »

Dex wrote:
dsr1986 wrote: Had a short summer this year, looking to extend my season, just trying to figure out the best way to do that.
Do you have equip/clothes for winter?
Yes, I do. Have traction, microspikes, snowshoes, baselayers, midlayers, shells, etc. What I don't have is any real avy gear.
SkaredShtles wrote:
HuskyRunner wrote:<snip>
This^^.

Please.

At least know *something* about route finding in avalanche terrain if nothing else...
This is good advice, thank you. Any recommended institutions to go through?
Whats with Today, today?
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

I took my level 1 class with Eli Helmuth from Colorado Mountain School. Excellent course and having instruction from somebody with the qualifications of Eli was worth every penny. Besides playing in RMNP in winter is pretty fun too!
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Removed, my post was irrelevant.
Last edited by SoCool on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

dsr1986 wrote:
Dex wrote:
dsr1986 wrote: Had a short summer this year, looking to extend my season, just trying to figure out the best way to do that.
Do you have equip/clothes for winter?
Yes, I do. Have traction, microspikes, snowshoes, baselayers, midlayers, shells, etc. What I don't have is any real avy gear.
Of course the other side of this is making sure your partner has Avy gear and knowledge to use it. Having said all of that there are plenty of climbs you can do in Winter that avoid Avy prone areas completely. I would stick with those first so you get a true sense of what Winter involves (breaking trail, having the right clothing setup, knowing your pace in Winter conditions given you have much shorter days etc...).
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

I was told by a lot of very helpful members from this site to do a lot of ridge hikes like as was previously mentioned on here. The way I interpreted it was sticking to easier class 1 routes like Quandary, Sherman, Elbert etc. This will be my first winter to hike and my second winter in CO, so I'm excited to get out there also! :)
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.