Good first Class 3 hike?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Good first Class 3 hike?

Post by Jim Davies »

There have been lots of discussions of this in the past. Here are a couple, and they have links to at least four more:
http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33779" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll repeat my favorite: east ridge of Father Dyer Peak. I think Kelso Ridge or Wetterhorn would be fine. The Sawtooth I don't like as a first scramble, because it's too committing - better to do something you can bail from without having to climb out. Remember Lucky the dog...
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

When I do the Bierstadt/Sawtooth/Evans hike it will be on a picture perfect day and also with a buddy that has done it before but said he would do it again with me. I knew it was a longer hike that required more commitment, that's why I am not really considering it as a good first Class 3....I am slow and the weather would be a huge factor for me on that one. I'm going to look into that Father Dyer route though. I am really getting to where I enjoy the 13ers as much as, if not more than 14ers just because there aren't crowds, there's a lot of options with all kinds of unique terrain, skill levels and some great views of the ranges that many folks never see.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

I agree with Wetterhorn as the best choice for a first Class 3. It wasn't my first (Long's was), but I really liked the rhythm that Wetterhorn presented, and think it would be a very nice fit for someone venturing into Class 3 for the first time.

I liked the progression. Short approach, Class 1 through the forest and into the basin. Class 2 through the boulders, in which the summit appears very inviting. Alternating sections of Class 2+ and Class 3 in the gullies, with a break in the action at the Prow. Then, the fantastic Class 3 finish up the final 100 feet. Steady build-up, without any one section feeling too overwhelming. The final 100 feet can be foreboding, for sure, but it's only 100 feet. And it's at the end, with the payoff being the summit. I also think the climb through the gullies leading up to the Prow, would help give the typical beginner the confidence to say, "I can do this!" upon arriving at the base of the final pitch. It certainly had that effect on me.

As others have said, the rock is very solid, and I wasn't intimidated in the slightest in the down-climb. Just be aware of how you react to exposure, because it can be noticeable on the final pitch. I did recently climb Kelso Ridge, I agree with others who recommend that, but as a first Class 3, I still think Wetterhorn is a better fit, due to the progression it offers. Plus, it's a lot more scenic which makes for a more memorable experience. Have a great time!
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

huffy13 wrote:When I do the Bierstadt/Sawtooth/Evans hike it will be on a picture perfect day and also with a buddy that has done it before but said he would do it again with me. I knew it was a longer hike that required more commitment, that's why I am not really considering it as a good first Class 3....
I know most people recommend Kelso Ridge as a good intro to class 3 14ers in the Front Range. However, having climbed both ways (up and down) on most of the class 3 14ers close to Denver, my personal opinion is that Bierstadt East Ridge is a better intro to class 3 than Kelso Ridge.

First of all, I don’t think Kelso Ridge is any less committing than other class 3 routes. Once you get on Kelso Ridge, it’s not any easier to bail off than any other routes. I guess in theory one can bail to Grizzly Gulch from Kelso, but it is steep and loose going down that way. I’d much rather just downclimb Kelso Ridge, in fact I did have to downclimb Kelso due to an impending lightning storm.

The main reason I think Bierstadt East Ridge is a better intro to class 3 is the easy, enjoyable scrambling on solid rock. East Ridge may be more physically demanding because of the initial loose gully, but once you get on the east ridge, everything is solid and easy, nothing comes close to vertical. Kelso ridge may be easier to get to, but the class 3 sections on Kelso do approach vertical. As a first class 3 route, the vertical section would be hard, especially if you have to downclimb it for some reason. Additionally, while the rock on Kelso is pretty solid to scramble on, there are plenty of loose stuff between the class 3 sections. Not hard or dangerously loose, but annoying nonetheless.

Plenty of people do Kelso as their first class 3 scramble, I just think Bierstadt East Ridge is actually easier and more enjoyable. If I’m to take someone on their first class 3 route, I would pick Bierstadt East Ridge over Kelso Ridge.

Edited to add some missing words.
Last edited by polar on Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

I haven't seen it brought up yet -

Huffy, did you do the ridge on Mt. Lindsey? If so, you've already seen more exposure and more difficult terrain than on Wetterhorn. Wetterhorn's class 3 section is short and solid, and I think would be a fantastic first class 3 peak. If you're going to be in Lake City for a few days, you might as well knock out all five nearby 14ers - I just did this trip in August and it was a great time.
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

adamjm wrote:I haven't seen it brought up yet -

Huffy, did you do the ridge on Mt. Lindsey? If so, you've already seen more exposure and more difficult terrain than on Wetterhorn. Wetterhorn's class 3 section is short and solid, and I think would be a fantastic first class 3 peak. If you're going to be in Lake City for a few days, you might as well knock out all five nearby 14ers - I just did this trip in August and it was a great time.
Actually, the route we ended up on was between the ridge and the gully. When we got to the top of the Class 2+ gully on the standard route we noticed a notch on the left side of the gully that looked like it had some elevation loss...turns out that was the way we should have gone, we ended up just heading straight up. We got on some steep, but solid rock and had a lot of places where we were really pushing the envelope when it came to our comfort levels concerning exposure. When we realized we had made a mistake it seemed too steep for us to comfortably be able to downclimb it, so we continued up on the solid rock until we got to what I assume was "East Lindsey"...a nice false summit. We did get pretty close to the ridge a few times but never actually made it to that route.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

lindsey2.jpg
lindsey2.jpg (93.12 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
The blue line is the standard route, the red is the ridge, the route we ended up on is the yellow one.
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Well, I can't say that I've done that route, but it is more than likely you were already on some exposed class 3. You'll be fine on Wetterhorn, and to leave it out would be a shame...it's the most fun of those peaks near Lake City!