Good first Class 3 hike?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Good first Class 3 hike?

Post by huffy13 »

My brother and I are looking at a week in Colorado next Summer to do a few 14ers...right now we are looking at Lake City and getting Sunshine/Redcloud, Uncompaghre, San Luis and possibly Wetterhorn....my question is whether or not Wetterhorn is a good mountain to begin my journey into Class 3 territory, or is there another good starter for that level of difficulty? I've always thought Wetterhorn looked awesome and I definitely want to summit it someday. The hardest summit I have acheived thus far is Mt. Lindsey, which we got off-trail and into a little more difficult stuff than the standard route, but I was never too uncomfortable with it....We are looking at either mid-July or mid-August, so snow shouldn't be too much of an issue. We are open to adjusting our base camp location and getting other hikes in, we both just love that area and I want to take my wife there also.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Good first Class 3 hike?

Post by DoctorBreaks »

huffy13 wrote:My brother and I are looking at a week in Colorado next Summer to do a few 14ers...right now we are looking at Lake City and getting Sunshine/Redcloud, Uncompaghre, San Luis and possibly Wetterhorn....my question is whether or not Wetterhorn is a good mountain to begin my journey into Class 3 territory, or is there another good starter for that level of difficulty? I've always thought Wetterhorn looked awesome and I definitely want to summit it someday. The hardest summit I have acheived thus far is Mt. Lindsey, which we got off-trail and into a little more difficult stuff than the standard route, but I was never too uncomfortable with it....We are looking at either mid-July or mid-August, so snow shouldn't be too much of an issue. We are open to adjusting our base camp location and getting other hikes in, we both just love that area and I want to take my wife there also.

Hey there, Wetterhorn was my second class 3. I thought it was a great introduction to class 3 climbing. I never minded the exposure, but I have heard more than a few people say it is pretty exposed. Are you afraid of heights at all?
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Well, heights don't bother me that much, but the exposure is kind of the wild card here since I haven't really had a good dose of it yet. Mt. Lindsey had some exposure, but I did fine on it. Exposure is such a subjective term anyway. I guess you could say that as long as the route is solid I can deal with the exposure better...just curous if maybe there is a better class 3 route (or difficult class 2, for that matter) that would give me a better gauge of what to expect. We may not even bother with Wetterhorn this go around anyways. I just want to be prepared mentally and physically in case we give it a shot.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

huffy13 wrote:Well, heights don't bother me that much, but the exposure is kind of the wild card here since I haven't really had a good dose of it yet. Mt. Lindsey had some exposure, but I did fine on it. Exposure is such a subjective term anyway. I guess you could say that as long as the route is solid I can deal with the exposure better...just curous if maybe there is a better class 3 route (or difficult class 2, for that matter) that would give me a better gauge of what to expect. We may not even bother with Wetterhorn this go around anyways. I just want to be prepared mentally and physically in case we give it a shot.
Well in that case some of the easier class 3 routes are in the front range. Bierstadt's East Ridge, the Sawtooth to Evans, Kelso's Ridge on Torrey's. Those are a few really solid easier class 3's.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
bunny256
14ers: 58  3  4 
13ers: 359 8 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bunny256 »

Wetterhorn was my first class 3 and I think it was an excellent introduction to scrambling/exposure. The rock is great and solid, and it's really only a small amount of class 3 right below the summit. Go for it!
LoJ
IG @i_heart_mountains
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Just reviewed Sunny1's Annals of climbing. Yep, dug into the archives.

Wetterhorn was my 1st C3 14er. It was awesome.
Not sketchy or loose, IMHO.
Sounds like a good one to put on the agenda, if you're in Lake City :-D
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Cool, thanks for all the replies. DoctorBreaks, Bierstadt/Sawtooth/Evans is on my list also. Sounds like Wetterhorn is a good one...plus, the San Juans are hard to beat.
thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

Wetterhorn was a few of my friend's first Class 3 hike (one of their first few 14ers in general) and they had a total blast and didn't get freaked out. Super solid.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Wetterhorn was my wife and my first Class 3. It is the perfect introduction to scrambling/C3, imo. The summit pitch is steep, but not nearly as intense as it looks in pictures. I am sure that you will do fine. As an added bonus it is a really beautiful area!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Wetterhorn is a great mountain, but I think for a good Class 3 starter, the SW ridge of Sneffels is better. Not nearly as intimidating as the final moves on Wetterhorn, and actually a lot of fun.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

Great stuff here, as I am also interested in this topic. Thanks for all the feedback, keeps me from asking the same questions! I have had my eye on Wetterhorn as my first C3 and I think this just solidified it. Huffy, if you need more in your group to share the experience let me know, that's the same time of year I head to the mountains.
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

HULKHIKEGOOD wrote:Great stuff here, as I am also interested in this topic. Thanks for all the feedback, keeps me from asking the same questions! I have had my eye on Wetterhorn as my first C3 and I think this just solidified it. Huffy, if you need more in your group to share the experience let me know, that's the same time of year I head to the mountains.
I sure will let you know...just got off the phone with my brother and we are looking at July 19-23 for a possible San Juan excursion. Mark it on your calendar!