Winter Hiking Navigation of Trails

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vxnguyen
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Winter Hiking Navigation of Trails

Post by vxnguyen »

My question is related to how well am I able to identify the trails during the winter. I like to do a winter summit. I've done 13 or so 14ers and 1-2 14ers with minimal snow. During this time of the year (Nov and Dec), I can imagine it is difficult to follow the trails up the summit with all the snow and so Im curious how other hikers deal with summitting a peak without familiarity or experience with a specific peak and with snow making the trail less apparent to see. Thanks.

Vinh
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Winter Hiking Navigation of Trails

Post by metalmountain »

Its not overly complicated really, but you have to put a little more work into it before you leave the house sometimes than you would in the summer. Just knowing what route to pick before you even leave for the TH is of huge importance. Some trails are easy to follow in the snow, others are much less apparent. A few things that really come in handy:

- Topo Map
- Ability to understand a topo map
- Compass/GPS
- Ability to use a compass/gps
- Ability to read the terrain as well as the snow to understand whether avalanches could be an issue or not. Some routes could be assumed safe most of the year, but even on those you need to always be on the look out for changing conditions or things that are out of the norm.

Go with someone that knows these things and its not hard to learn. :)
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

You might look at it more as following a route rather than a trail. All those things metalmountain mentioned come into play. A lot of times the best/safest route up a mountain does not follow the summer trail.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

I get lost all the time.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Below treeline it can become very difficult to stay on route without navigational aids. I would strongly recommend doing your first few winter ascents on mountains you have already climbed in the summer.
The last few years there has been a group hike called January Quandary, which I presume will take place again this winter. That's a great opportunity for your first winter 14er.
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

I Man wrote:I get lost all the time.
that can be useful at times, especially if you don't want to be there.
I Man
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

dsunwall wrote:
that can be useful at times, especially if you don't want to be there.
Must be too many green snowflakes :lol:

+1 on the best route rarely being the summer trail. Do your research beforehand. There is plenty of information out there for the easily attainable winter summits.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
metalmountain
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

This is why you don't get to lead the first pitch of any route anymore.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
I Man
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

metalmountain wrote:

EL MUERTO!!!!! You know he's your bestie. Do you keep in touch?

metalmountain
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

I Man wrote:
metalmountain wrote:

EL MUERTO!!!!! You know he's your bestie. Do you keep in touch?
We are not currently on speaking terms. Which is usually the case when something tries kill me.
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

metalmountain wrote:Its not overly complicated really, but you have to put a little more work into it before you leave the house sometimes than you would in the summer. Just knowing what route to pick before you even leave for the TH is of huge importance. Some trails are easy to follow in the snow, others are much less apparent. A few things that really come in handy:

- Topo Map
- Ability to understand a topo map
- Compass/GPS
- Ability to use a compass/gps
- Ability to read the terrain as well as the snow to understand whether avalanches could be an issue or not. Some routes could be assumed safe most of the year, but even on those you need to always be on the look out for changing conditions or things that are out of the norm.

Go with someone that knows these things and its not hard to learn. :)
The above says it all for the most part.

What was not explicitly stated is that many times the summer route is not the best winter route. Often times the best winter route is radically different from where the summer trail goes.

If you're breaking trail you typically have no guide other than your navigational abilities. One caution, never assume the guy who broke trail ahead of you knew where he was going. Always double check to make sure any broken trail you follow makes sense.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Isn't it also true that once above treeline you just choose the safest route toward the summit? I mean as long as you avoid avalanche prone slopes you can kind of choose where you want to go by knowing where the summit is right?
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.