Winter Hiking Navigation of Trails

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mcmanusj
14ers: 43 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Winter Hiking Navigation of Trails

Post by mcmanusj »

DoctorBreaks wrote:Isn't it also true that once above treeline you just choose the safest route toward the summit? I mean as long as you avoid avalanche prone slopes you can kind of choose where you want to go by knowing where the summit is right?
Yes.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

Turtle Boy wrote:One caution, never assume the guy who broke trail ahead of you knew where he was going. Always double check to make sure any broken trail you follow makes sense.
THIS! Also, or was going the same place you intend. MORE than once I've headed back down to find someone following my trail and I had to inform them they weren't headed where they thought they were. The last time I recall it was a group of four or so full-on backpackers who were headed up to camp overnight in a basin. Following my tracks got them steeply up the side of a valley wall instead of on the main trail, and it was a couple hundred feet of steep, switch-backing, log-strewn terrain to get down to it. That or a full mile back to where they (I) split off. Never mind the ones who followed my trail but I never saw.
DoctorBreaks wrote:Isn't it also true that once above treeline you just choose the safest route toward the summit? I mean as long as you avoid avalanche prone slopes you can kind of choose where you want to go by knowing where the summit is right?
Well, yes and no. Some of those summer trails have a lot of switchbacks in them. In the winter you can pretty much head straight upslope. Of course, that takes considerably more energy or is much slower paced than following switchbacks or perhaps making some of your own. Plus, on a long route you want to stay somewhat near the trail lest you end up in an area avoided because of some obstacle or other. As already pointed out, knowing how to navigate/route-find technically is part of choosing the safest route to the summit. You choose where you want to go in so far as you know the terrain between you and the goal, be that an established trail or your own route.
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

Another useful piece of advice. If you don't know the route, don't follow the dog.
rocky
south fork, colorado
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Keep in mind that plenty of avalanches happen below the tree line.