Winter summits

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tomcat32
14ers: 21  4 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (43)

Winter summits

Post by tomcat32 »

On people's peak lists I see that winter ascents are noted. To qualify as a winter ascent does the climb have to occur in calender winter or just in winter conditions. Does a fairly snowless December 23rd summit count while a blizzard conditions summit on March 23rd doesn't or is it a matter of preference like the 3k rule. When I lived in New England peakbaggers had to climb in calender winter to qualify for their badge. I was just curious what the "definition" of a winter climb is in CO.
Chico_P
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Winter summits

Post by Chico_P »

This might help explain:
http://meemsy.com/v/16713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

tomcat32 wrote:On people's peak lists I see that winter ascents are noted. To qualify as a winter ascent does the climb have to occur in calender winter or just in winter conditions. Does a fairly snowless December 23rd summit count while a blizzard conditions summit on March 23rd doesn't or is it a matter of preference like the 3k rule. When I lived in New England peakbaggers had to climb in calender winter to qualify for their badge. I was just curious what the "definition" of a winter climb is in CO.
A winter ascent is considered any climb between the Winter Solstice (Dec 21st) and the Vernal Equinox (March 20th). The conditions or 3K rule don't have any bearing on it whatsoever. (This will give you the Snowflake that you mentioned)

Some have argued that the scope should be broadened to include more months, and factor in conditions or a variety of other abstract things. You can read about that here: http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... +snowflake
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Calendar winter is the definition of a winter climb and earns a snowflake in CO.
Looks like Winter Soltice is December 21, 4:03 p.m.

There have been numerous discussions about this on here over the years, here's a fairly recent thread on the topic:

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... dar+winter
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

sunny1 wrote:Calendar winter is the definition of a winter climb and earns a snowflake in CO.
So, to get super technical - being a Sunday, me and a hiking partner have tentative plans to try a "winter" 14er on December 21st. If we were to summit around 11 am, and get back to the car by 3 pm or so, would this NOT be considered a winter ascent (since the solstice isn't until 4:03 pm)? Or is it all good since the hike is taking place on the date of the solstice? I don't want to lose potentially my first winter 14er that way, so possibly we'll put it off until the following weekend.

On another note, after reading through some of the other threads. I get that there have to be rules, and they shouldn't be watered down. However. EVERY May, and EVERY June, I see lots of very raw trip reports posted by those obviously new to the 14er community, followed by a bunch of "Summer is Here" comments. Seems to me like if we're going to pigeon-hole folks into groups based strictly on the calendar, we need to be consistent. By the "calendar" rules, a newbie who summits Mt. Sherman on June 14 deserves to be respected as one who successfully navigated Spring conditions, as opposed to scorned and ridiculed as just another summer tourist hiker. I'm not a winter guy, won't ever be, and given the little I know about winter climbing, I can fully understand why the "Winter crowd" would want to be somewhat exclusionary in nature. But if that's the case, then let's not engage in expanding the summer calendar so as to group as much as "everyone else" as possible into the "easy" category. Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, based on Solstices and Equinoxes. Seems pretty simple to me.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

JROSKA wrote:Calendar winter is the definition of a winter climb and earns a snowflake in CO.

So, to get super technical - being a Sunday, me and a hiking partner have tentative plans to try a "winter" 14er on December 21st. If we were to summit around 11 am, and get back to the car by 3 pm or so, would this NOT be considered a winter ascent (since the solstice isn't until 4:03 pm)? Or is it all good since the hike is taking place on the date of the solstice? I don't want to lose potentially my first winter 14er that way, so possibly we'll put it off until the following weekend.
You are correct that since the solstice is 4:03PM, it would not count.
Myself and several others actually waited until after 10:11AM to depart the Guanella campground for Mount Bierstadt last December. Winter ascents are taken very seriously here. 8)
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Since this topic is stemming into questions more akin to hypotheticals:
If one were to sidecountry a 13er (14ers can't use mechanized means to earn a snowflake) during calendar winter... but still descend 1000 feet (general ski/board descent standard) which icons could one add to their profile... in good conscience.
I have looked into multiple 13ers with close proximity to ski resorts with these questions... but at the end of the day - getting a green avalanche forecast means more to me... even if it means risking getting a purple snowflake (jokes... please don't let this rehash that thread!). This in turn then makes you ask: how awkward would it be to access a 14er by its nearest ski resort! :shock: Looking at the map... I can't see one that looks like it would have a feasible route (at least as a day trip using lifts)!!! :lol:
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Traversing to Torreys from A-Basin is probably feasible. But it's even easier to get there from Loveland Pass, so there's no point, really.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Jim Davies wrote:Traversing to Torreys from A-Basin is probably feasible. But it's even easier to get there from Loveland Pass, so there's no point, really.
Yeah... of the peaks... this is the one I thought might have the best options. The ridge between Lenawee & Grizzly looked pretty airy from the TR's I'd seen & the "hike up" options from Loveland Ski Area also don't look "easy". I guess my point with the post was as stated - pretty obscure! The peaks I have in mind (13ers) would still have around 3K elevation gain (even with the lift help)... I will claim them as both ski icons & winter icons if they meet the "1000 ft rule" & the correct calendar dates. :-D
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Chico_P wrote:This might help explain:

Oh my god how have I never seen this?!
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

metalmountain wrote:
Chico_P wrote:This might help explain:

Oh my god how have I never seen this?!
April came. April gone.