Are there any "easier", shorter class 4 hikes to try?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Are there any "easier", shorter class 4 hikes to try?

Post by polar »

Justin explained it really well, especially with the bookcase analogy. I just want to add, don't think of "pushing" and "pulling" as what you're doing with your hands and your feet, but rather, what you're doing to the rock. So "pushing" means "compressing, pushing rocks together"; "pulling" means "stretching, pulling rocks apart". So in climbing a bookcase, when you're reaching over head for the books and pulling straight down on them, you're pushing (compressing) them against the shelf, that would hold them in place. As soon as the books are chest level and you're pulling them away from the shelf, the books would pull right out. Also, if you're climbing any of corner or chimney feature, pressing against the rock (stemming) with your hand and your feet will also hold the rock together.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Nice clarification, thanks polar.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

justiner wrote:Nice clarification, thanks polar.
No prob! This whole discussion of pushing and pulling reminded me when I climbed in Australia a few years ago. A friend took me to a newly developed sport area near Canberra. If I recall the rock is a type of igneous rock, very hard but brittle. I hopped on this 5.easy on lead to warm up. The climbing was easy because there were edges everywhere for hands and feet, and they looked and felt pretty solid. But as I climbed and looked down at my feet, to my horror, I watched as many of the footholds I was standing on just moments ago break away and fall into space as soon as my foot left them. What my friend failed to mention was that this area was so new, most of the rock was still exfoliating the surface layer. I had never been so gripped on a sport route in my entire life! But it goes to show that pressure can hold the loose stuff together.

How was El Potrero? You weren’t there when the two rappel accident happened, were you?
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
alsrun
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alsrun »

One other thing to consider...If you plan on using any of the campsites at Crater Lake for a base camp, call the ranger station in Aspen to be certain they will be available. All of the campsites were closed late last Summer due to bear activity.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Class 4 doesn't always mean high exposure. There are plenty of climbs with class 4 & class 5 moves that have minimal exposure. Think bouldering.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring