Elbert in Late April

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CONSIGLIEREG8R
Trip Reports (0)

Elbert in Late April

Post by CONSIGLIEREG8R »

Being from Florida, it is not often that I get to go CO but when I do..I like to try a 14er. I have a short trip planned for business at the end of April. Assuming the weather is favorable, any predictions on a round trip time for a couple of flatlanders? I assume we will take the easiest route.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Elbert in Late April

Post by speth »

Totally up in the air - it could be snow covered at the end of April, or it could be solidly into couloir season by that time depending on the weather. The last few years, we've been pounded by snowstorms in April.

We've had a pretty dry year, though. If that trend stays in place, you could probably do this like a fall hike.

So... anyhow, not really helpful I guess, but food for thought.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

speth wrote:Totally up in the air - it could be snow covered at the end of April, or it could be solidly into couloir season by that time depending on the weather. The last few years, we've been pounded by snowstorms in April.
Its not really upin the air. 90% of the years there will be significant snow on 14ers in April.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

So is it in the air or on the ground?
CONSIGLIEREG8R
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CONSIGLIEREG8R »

Air or ground...I'm a guessin if its in the air, eventually, it will be on the ground most of the time. If I can do it in microspikes I am game. No so sure about snowshows.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

CONSIGLIEREG8R wrote:Air or ground...I'm a guessin if its in the air, eventually, it will be on the ground most of the time. If I can do it in microspikes I am game. No so sure about snowshows.
Assuming there hasn't been a storm within a couple days of your hike, Elbert is well-traveled even in the winter and should have a trench. The East Ridge route would likely be the easiest, unless this low-snow trend continues and the standard route is accessible by the time of your visit. A hard-packed trench can usually be traveled with just microspikes. Of course, if it's a super warm spring day, the descent might be a post-holing nightmare even with snowshoes.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

There will be deep and plentiful snow in April this year on the route, even if it doesn't snow another flake. We climbed next-door Massive last weekend; before we got above treeline, the snow was probably 4 feet deep, more in places. This won't go away in two months.

That being said, April should be a fine time, there almost assuredly will be a nice hard-packed track laid down on this very popular "winter" route (I'm talking the east ridge route from Twin Lakes t/h). We climbed it in April a couple years back; if in fact the snow is lean then you might be able to drive part of the way down the road; we went in about a mile or so, saving 2 miles roundtrip.

Might easily need snowshoes though, sorry; it's gets (and stays) deep up there in the trees. Once above the trees you can cache them.