Class 3

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Class 3

Post by LarryM »

I'm a strong hiker with some 13er/14er experience, but I'm nervous about exposure and haven't done anything tougher than class 2+. I'd like to start doing some class 3 routes, but want to keep exposure to a minimum, at least at first. I'm looking for advice about "beginner" class 3 routes on 13ers or 14ers (or even lower peaks for practice), with minimum exposure, and preferably reasonably close to Denver. Any advice?
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Class 3

Post by desertdog »

I thought Crestone Peak was pretty straightforward with just a little exposure at the end of the route. Another couple to check out would be Kit Carson and Lindsey (although the gully on the route has a lot of rockfall). Here's a good tool for you -

http://14ers.com/routes_byexposure.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

The upper traverse between Blanca and Ellingwood is a good intro to Class 3. If you get spooked you can always drop down to the Class 2 traverse.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Jim Davies is running slow in responding. Here's responses to similar question ...
beginner class 3
Favorite 13er Scrambles
Intro to class 3
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

I would check out father dyer's east ridge from crystal lake. It's pretty easy class 3 with a couple spots of brief exposure but that is over really quickly.

It also has the benefit of not having to downclimb. As you can traverse to crystal and hike down crystal which Is all class 2.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

NE ridge of Father Dyer peak is another great option. Relatively short scrambling on very solid rock, and great scenery. Also Kelso Ridge on Torrey's.

Wow, just saw the above post, funny :)
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

For 14ers I would start with Wetterhorn as it is a shorter section of class 3 and the views are hard to beat. Then maybe onto Kelso Ridge.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

Bear Peak in Boulder. The short, final scramble to the summit is Class 3 with just a little exposure and awesome views up top.

If you do that and want some more on the way down, head down to Mesa Trail, turn left up the Mallory Cave Trail, and climb Sunny Side II on Der Zerkle for your first Class 4 scramble. Walk off to the north and downclimb a couple easy class 3 moves and you're back on the trail.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

And here's one more link that focuses on options closer to Denver ...
Class 3 Front Range 13ers?

Using Lists of John to come up with peak options is a fun planning exercise. From the tools menu, you can generate a list based on your specified location of the closest XX peaks above Y,000'. Once you have the peak names, there's countless hours you can spend looking for route descriptions, ratings, maps, etc. Good luck!
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

Thanks all. Wow, if the final scramble on Bear Peak is considered class 3, then I've been overly intimidated by class three, as I've done that many times. :)
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

LarryM wrote: Wow, if the final scramble on Bear Peak is considered class 3, then I've been overly intimidated by class three, as I've done that many times. :)
Well...if that's class 3, then just barely (or is that "BEARly...sorry, apparently Friday is bad joke day). Just goes to show how big of a range that category has...it's kind of hard to put the summit of Beak Peak and, say, the Keyhole or Loft route on Longs in the same category, even though both might be technically class 3.
matt_foco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matt_foco »

Airplane gully for Navajo Peak.
Destroy all summit signs