Longs Peak - Technical Rating 2015

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MN teleMARKer
14ers: 36  1 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Longs Peak - Technical Rating 2015

Post by MN teleMARKer »

With all of the recent snowfall in RMNP, can anyone speculate as to when the "technical" rating will be lifted on the Longs Peak Keyhole route this summer?
Wake up every day with a purpose
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Longs Peak - Technical Rating 2015

Post by justiner »

July?
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

It's hard to know for sure, but I've been discussing taking one of my regular hiking partners up there, who wants to try some Class 3's this summer, but prefers dry conditions. We are already sort of assuming that it's either going to have to be some other year. We may give it our best shot in late August or early September.

Regarding when it becomes non-technical, I'd say mid-July, at the absolute earliest but who knows, even that may be a bit optimistic. Depending on when the snow starts falling up there in August, this could very well be one of those summers where there's only a week or two with no ice past the Keyhole. I've lived in northeast Denver for 7 years, where Long's and Meeker are clearly visible and in all honesty, I've never seen that area so pure white with snow. I can barely see the ridge features, and it's tough to tell the mountaintops from the clouds. Granted this is from 60-70 miles away, but that area must be completely buried right now. Doesn't sound like the weather pattern is changing much over the next week or two, and unless things warm up in June drastically and quickly, the Keyhole Route should be choked with snow / ice very deep into the summer.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

I seem to remember years where Longs has not had the technical rating removed at all, yet the snow could be easily bypassed (mostly in the trough). This I believe is often the case in June/early July on regular years too, before the rating is lifted, as it seems the NPS is quite cautious with this (probably to weed out the masses of less experienced/less prepared). Of course, there is more snow than normal for this time of year, so maybe just keep an eye on trip reports and keep this thread updated.
Last edited by Jeff Valliere on Sun May 17, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MN teleMARKer
14ers: 36  1 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MN teleMARKer »

Thank you for the insight. Living in Fort Collins, Longs Peak does appear to be carrying alot of snow. The Loft has as much snow as ever. As a climber, the rating has never concerned me. However, this year I plan to bring my teen children. Made me start taking into consideration things I hadn't paid attention to before.
Wake up every day with a purpose
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

Not sure if you saw this, scroll to the bottom.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-20 ... 238291__27
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Aug 1 in a snowy year like this one.
But check the RMNP website starting in July or call the BC ranger.