What can I climb with just hiking boots?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lostathiker
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

What can I climb with just hiking boots?

Post by lostathiker »

Are there any 14ers that I can climb this week without any special equipment? Also, how long should I wait after coming from sea level to try a climb? I'm an experienced hiker, but this is my first time dealing with any significant altitude.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: What can I climb with just hiking boots?

Post by Scott P »

For all the 14ers, you will need snow gear. Some 14ers, however can be climbed with minimal gear such as snowshoes, trekking poles, and warm waterproof boots.

As far as acclimatization, the more time the better. To enjoy the trip more, plan on at least a few days, but more is better.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
snowymountainsrock
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowymountainsrock »

It's not a 14er, but last week I climbed Cupid and Mount Sniktau right off of loveland pass. I wore only hiking boots (no microspikes) and was fine. I did wear winter clothing though.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

lostathiker wrote:Are there any 14ers that I can climb this week without any special equipment? Also, how long should I wait after coming from sea level to try a climb? I'm an experienced hiker, but this is my first time dealing with any significant altitude.
at least a couple days, more if possible.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
sky_high
14ers: 40  3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sky_high »

Right now you really need traction and/or flotation since the snow is getting slick. If you can afford to wait a few more weeks, many of the peaks near the front range become accessible with only boots. The later in the summer, the more options you will have.

As for altitude, are you coming from sea level? You typically want to give at least a day to acclimate to ground level here in CO (which means Denver, 5280'). Two or three days would be better. If you are planning to sleep in the mountains you might want even more time, as altitude will likely cause you a few days of restless sleep and shortness of breath. Just remember to take it slow and stay very hydrated. And hike with a buddy if you have any concern with how you will react to altitude (besides, who's gonna take a picture of you at the peak if you don't have a crew).
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

I **think** Humbolt appears to be in good enough shape that you won't need anything more than good hiking boots and maybe a pair of gaiters. See this conditions report...
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatu ... ecnum=4698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might contact user "thurs" directly for more info.

Have fun and be safe!!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
jenkscolin
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jenkscolin »

I was on up Humboldt last Saturday. Ascended the east ridge and descended via west ridge. Both routes are doable with good boots and gaiters. On the west ridge descent there were two snow fields remaining between the saddle and the basin where traction is helpful. Although they may be gone by now as everything seems to be melting out quickly.
The smaller we come to feel ourselves compared with the mountain, the nearer we come to participating in its greatness - Arne Naess
thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

I can confirm you can do Humboldt in nothing more than boots. Maybe a set of poles for the two small, steep snowfields (that may be entirely melted out by then). I saw a small child ascending at about 13,000 feet in nothing more than boots.